MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home tonight I noticed either smoke or steam belching out from my rear end but there wasn't any problems with my temperature or oil temperature gauges. I stopped as soon as i could only to see clouds of vapour pouring out of the boot into the air.

So it seems I have the dreaded HGF :(

Wife says I should get rid of it because I told her it would cost £500 to fix!

Oh well, such is life!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately not, nice oily film on the back end of the car confirms the worst methinks :(

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
AndyBrad said:
deffo not just water vapour or a coolant cap is it?
btw you think we have problems? Have a look at the mr2 owners forums (the roadster/spyder) they appear to be suffering catastrophic engine failure at about 20k depending on usage. Apparently the engine either sucks in the cats or resonates at 4k rpm and wears the bores. Either way its not good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it towed back :) Checked the water no sign of any oil in there also I checked the dip stick and the oil looks ok :)

The oily film on the back may not have been oil, when I touched it it felt oily but that may have been a combination of coolant and road film!

Maybe I might be lucky that it could be something else...any ideas?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, one of the head bolts broke and the water was pouring out onto the manifold so it's a definitly a HGF problem and my mechanic says its gonna cost me around £700 or even more if the head is warped and it won't be ready till after the 12th of January

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
bad news fella. Im really supprised a bolt would shear though. Is the car second hand? Maybe its had a HGF before and they have reused the bolts (there streatch bolts so ur supposed to replace them)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got the news that my MGF is now fixed. I was told that I have the new steel dowels and gasket and new head bolts fitted but was informed that the head wasn't skimmed because its a 3 cam version (or something)??

Aparently Mantle's bring in heads regularly and i was told that if a head blows a second time then Mantles just replace the whole engine!!! Expensive solution methinks!

I was told to get rid before this happens, any opinions? Should I sell it or keep it?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
if the head gaskets gone and the head has warped then it will happen again. Thats why they skim heads. If they havnt cheaked it for straightness then it may well happen again and fairly soon. If they have and it doesnt require skimming then thats different as youve now probably got less chance of it going again as you have a better gasket.

If you ask them and hey say it did need doing but they couldnt do it then i would get shut asap as its going to hapen again and very soon. What sort of warrenty have they put on the work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts