MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope someone can help!

I have a 1997 Rover 620SLi - and keep it well serviced & maintained but the mpg "urban" is very poor (at worst 15mpg) at best 20mpg is this normal?
What should I be getting around the doors?

Last year I had problems with the engine light coming on while driving, but that was caused through the wires from the lambda sensor rubbing against the cooling fan housing which had caused them to bare! this was then reinsulated by the garage and it seemed ok for a while but still had no effect on the mpg?

This year the mpg got worse, so I took the car to a main Honda garage (has a 2.0 ltr honda engine) for a major service. Went on Holiday to Devon and mpg was about 34/36 on a good run. However, the mpg got worse after hols - so took it back to Honda for its MOT and they failed it on its emissions - they said that the Lambda sensor was bust and that had probably destroyed the Cat! (Total estimated bill from Honda to fix the problem would be between approx £900 - £1,000) So I took it back to the garage I used to use all the time and they replace the Lambda sensor for £50 and it passed its MOT. But the engine light is now coming on again when Ii first start it up, but if I switch the engine off and then back on again the engine light does notcome on Strange! mpg is still crap between 19 to 20mpg on a full tank 52ltrs (approx 11gallon) (miles on trip from a full tank of juice 200ish) can this be right/ Help someone Help!!!!!! Please.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Maybe the cat is goonered?? Not sure how this would effect the mpg... maybe someone does??

You can pick up a cat from http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/

Assuming urs is the std 2.0 then a ceramic cat is £81.64 + vat and for a steel one £126.64 + vat ... any local exhaust place should be able to fit you a cat for buttons....

HTH

p.s. I don't think ur mpg should be that low... I'd have hope u should be getting in the late 20's early 30's... again not sure tho... just goin off some googling :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for your reply - much appreciated.

I have had the lambda sensor replaced and the garage said the cat was ok. The engine light still keeps coming on though? is this a common problem with 620sli's?

The engine light comes on when I first start-up, but if I switch off and then start-up again it go off? could the new lambda sensor be faulty?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
It could be the lambda sensor, but also it may be the sensor heater relay if it has one. I had a similar problem on my 1.4 K and the heater relay was replaced and the mpg suddenly got better. If the cat is breaking up then it blocks the exhaust so the engine struggles to breathe properly, (a bit like sticking a potato up the exhaust). Check the heater function on the lambda sensor, (multimeter job) first as it is a 5 minute job and cheap to replace if it has one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers E-T-V

Will check this out - any improvement on 15mpg has to be a step in the right direction ehh...

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
urban mpg can be very poor at this time of year though,I never see much more than 20mpg out of 620ti round town and it has never failed on emissions

·
Registered
705 Posts
i get around 20mpg round town with my 620ti, maybe 25 driving it as a 2litre car (i.e. not really using the turbo, hence not needing massive amounts of fuelling)

a friend of mine can get 220 miles out of 20 quidworth of petrol, round town! he drives a honda 1.5 vtec civic.. and he drives it like the engine isnt supposed to go over 1500 rpm (he changes up when it gets to 1300ish.. i tell him he shouldnt do this and he shouldlet the engine breathe a little more, but he says "no.. i am very frightened because if i do then the engine sometimes it 'pulls' " (he's from india)
hope he never takes a trip in my Ti..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts