MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woot!

Yesterday evening was a filthy dirty freezing backbreaking evening, during which I (with the help of a friend) succeeded in changing the inlet maifold gasket and changed all the coolant for fresh OAT.

Doing that job in the dark is certainly interesting, but we got it done in the end...

The biggest problem however if anybody can explain this, was bleeding it. I followed the guide here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=213626&highlight=bleeding+water&page=1, and all was good except that when I removed the bleed screw and we were slowly pouring in the coolant, after mere seconds it was streaming out. This was with the car facing downhill slightly, so tried it level still no good. Even pointing it up the hill and/or jacking up the front made no difference.

Tried squeezing the hoses etc but no help...

We could only get the system to fill up by pouring it straight in the top hose of the radiator and then filling up the rest through the expansion tank... any ideas? :err:

All ok now though I think... coolant level is staying steady and the blowers get nice and hot, so I'm hoping we got the system full.

Also, for anybody hoping to attempt this I found that you can do all the bottom nuts using a 13mm socket on a extension bar from behind the manifold, and the top left one can be done with a socket but the other two seemed to require spanners. Wish I had a ratchet spanner handy!

Oh and I also managed to finally tighten up my alternator belt :D so no more squealing!

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
changing the inlet gasket can be a fidely little job cant it! haha

I was going to clean down my new engine down lastnight but DAMN was it cold haha, glad I wasnt you :p

As for the coolant side of it, I usualy just poor my coolant in as much as possible, then unscrew the bleed bolt a little bit (never all the way off) and lease any air that may be wanting to make its way out, then once i get a nice stream of coolant, i tighten it back up, and turn the car on and keep a close eye on the expantion tank as chances are, it will drop, just keep filling as it goes down.

Been fine for me when I did that on the K's

If your getting nice hot air, then I wouldn't worry matey :)

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
The bleed screw was the last thing I did when bleeding mine. I filled it up as much as possible, squeezed out as much air as I could, topped it up, then opened the bleed screw and did the same again. Seemed to work ok for me.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys, seems I should be ok then :)

Was a funny combination, all the tools were ice cold, and the engine was hot as it'd just been driven so you had to be careful where you put ur hands xD.

Basically did it because my engine has slowly been losing coolant and oil over time, and I don't think the head gasket was going as the only oil leak seemed to be at the back and there was no power loss, mayo, coffee or anything else. Let's hope I've fixed the problem :lol:.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
1,795 Posts
When I did mine, I filled the system up until the max mark and undid the bled screw for a few seconds. I then started the car with blowers on hot and squeezed the pipes. If its anyting like mine, after a fair few minutes, the tank will start to bubble (or overflow as in my case) then you should see water coming out the return feed. Turn the car off, top up and put the cap back on. Worked for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts