MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to purchase a new TF (04 model spark 135) for the missus (and me) when all this MG rover situation occured. The Main Dealer and I put the deal on hold due to the uncertain warranty situation. Dealer now informs me they will honour the manufactures warranty and put it in writing. I have not seen the detail yet but given some of the other posts on the forum I am not convinced it will hold water. The one thing I am certain of having read this forum you need a warranty with a TF. Any opinions from this knowledgable community greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
DBspark said:
...... The one thing I am certain of having read this forum you need a warranty with a TF. Any opinions from this knowledgable community greatly appreciated.
You need a warranty with any new car not just the TF.
I've had new company cars for the last 15 years (sometimes changing every nine months). Ironically (sp.) The only one of them that hasn't had a warranty issue of some sort was a Rover 416 GTI (that's going back a bit). My latest, Ford Focus, has been to the dealers 3 times - it needs to go back for more work, the windscreen wipers park where they like and the ICE was playing up but has now died.

Having said that IMHO if the dealer is solely MG Rover I'd wait a bit as they may well go bust if MG Rover do down. I'm worried about my warranty if it all goes pear shaped, although my worry is insignificant compared to the workers.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
I was also wondering about waranties; any existing ones are fine since they are not underwritten by MGR but if you are buying while MGR is in administration you you need to be sure that the company providing them is still accepting new contracts from the administrators. A piece of paper from MGR is not sufficient if MGR no longer exists.

You could maybe negotiate a discount & purchase a warantee yourself through another company - don't know if any do warantees on new cars though.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Hmmm, not quite sure how this works, but the first year is a manufacturers' warrantee under the sale of goods act, and is a statutory right (fit for purpose etc). So they have to honour it. Parts are supplied by Caterpillar and they have a duty to supply parts for 10 years after the sale of the last TF, so they shouldn't be too much of a problem (well no more so than normal anyway ;) ).

Where it becomes a grey area is if the company goes under, who covers the year 1 warrantee? I assume it is the dealership, afterall they already deal with the extended warrantees (years 2 and 3). If they won't cover it, then i assume you should get a discount / refund off of the purchase price. Afterall you the customer ultimately pay for the warrantee when you buy the car. You can the use this money to take out an aftermarket warrantee - the AA for instance do parts and labour cover for a very reasonable sum.

Personally i think there are options, even now while everything is still up in the air. And thus very little cause for concern in this matter.

Oh, one more thing - my F is now 9 years old and has been run without a warrantee for the past 6 years.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for input

Thanks for the input I will try to get to the dealers today to see the whites of their eyes regarding on what they have got to offer. but as you have said I have options the workers in mgr may not. All a pity really the car is a bit special and the deal was better than anything else I could find on the web.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
MG Deano said:
if thats the case, and your only concern is warranty, then u could always buy an external warranty cover fromt he likes of the AA for a reasonable amount.

...why not get them to reduce the price of the car, by the cost of a 3 year AA warranty ?

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Just skimming through quickly I might of missed something, but you say it's an 04 model, being a year-ish old would it be out of the first year of warranty. As people say the first year is the problem one, and the other, years 2 and 3 are covered whatever happens.. Or is it a new car as in never been sold and so it comes with the full 3 years?

Jonathan

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've just bought an 05 tf 135 spark today and the garage are honouring the warranty but I found that I picked the car up for a pretty good price and like others say you can buy a decent warranty for £250 - £300 per year.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
minidriver2 said:
I've just bought an 05 tf 135 spark today and the garage are honouring the warranty but I found that I picked the car up for a pretty good price and like others say you can buy a decent warranty for £250 - £300 per year.
well done minidriver2 (and welcome as well!!). Its great to see peeps are still buying inspite of whats happening to MG-R

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
minidriver2 said:
Have you that agreement in writing? :err:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes I asked for the guaranteed warranty in writing prior to handing over my deposit.

I can't wait to pick the car up, finger's crossed I should have the car by the weekend. I bought the last car in the dealers, they've sold around 30 - 40 cars over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
my MG garage wont honour the 3rd years warrenty at this moment in time. Nore will any other garage in the south yorkshire area :( Not happy

·
Registered
23 Posts
PaulaM said:
If were you i would wait and see what is happening before entering into any deal
U r all talking crap !!!!! Quote from a letter i have from my company (Phoenix)

Warranty NEW Manufacturers warranty will remain and b covered for 3 YEARS under the administrator

I understand all your concerns .... but I tell you wot if your looking to buy a new MG Rover make the most of a bad situation [email protected]

·
Registered
mg_zr
917 Posts
Well my local Phoenix dealer's certainly saying no to warranty work.
Q. I bought my TF from new from a car warehouse would I be right in assuming that if MGR go down (God forbid!) then the place I bought the car from will be liable for the costs of any repairs in the 1st year?

·
Registered
507 Posts
petevick said:
bl00dy hell :bigeyes::bigeyes:
Yeah I can't believe it neither, all the cars are sold. On saturday afternoon there was a queue of people waiting to take cars for test drives.

I have to admit the garage had cut the prices of the cars and the deal I got was better than a 115 I was looking at last Monday in a different garage.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
685 Posts
Asuming that MGR waranty is unavailable.

Without kicking the company while its on its knees you would have to be very confident in the product to go ahead with a purchace of a new car without a full blown MGR waranty. Or - be offered a car at a greatly reduced price to mitigate the risk of things going wrong.

I know you can buy third party insurance/waranty -but, would you want to fork out 16k on a car and be happy with that ? I must say my experience with MGR was always non-quibble - would you get the same with a third party ?

Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts