MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a second-hand suspension pump to use on my 1998 MGF but, in use / under pressure, it leaks from the brass joint nearest the pump itself; see photo for the type of pump.

I unscrewed the joints at both ends to check the pipe and found a tiny brass "olive" on the pipe at the valve connector end, but there wasn't one at the actual pump end. Should there be? I'm rather suspicious as someone (the previous owner?) has tried to seal the joint with clear mastic.

I'd be grateful if anyone with a similar pump could check and let me know.

Thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
I have never seen one of those but my thoughts are if the joint construction is the same both ends other than the lack of an olive then you need an olive. Is there a manufactures name on it if so google it they may still be in business, if not measure the O/D of the pipe and do a google search for an olive that size, you may get lucky.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,155 Posts
The pump is basically a converted grease gun, not sure on the olive but if there is one on one side I'd assume there should be one on the other side. I bought one of these once as it was going cheap, very cheap, and I wanted to see how good it was, was appalled with pressure gauge, best to avoid using it as a guide to the pressure and just measure height instead. The cheap nasty home made low loss connector broke on something like the second time I used it (I did buy second hand so no idea of abuse it may have received from previous owner) and the last time I went to use it, even though on the previous use I had cleaned and dried it, the thing had seized up. Just a s well I made my own and also own a churchill pump (albeit I still need to refurb the churchill)

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I have one of the ‘grease gun’ type hand pumps. It has been used probably three times in the approx 6 years I have owned it.

Like Dert, I find that each time I come to use it, a mechanical strip down, clean and lubrication is needed to free it up, but half an hour sees it moving nicely again.

Also like Dert, I have found the gauge to be useless and simply keep carefully checking the height of each corner.

As requested, I have just checked my pump and found that the Brass connector (into the Silver ‘T’ piece) appears to have some kind of Grey/White sealer visible around the base of the threads. I didn’t unscrew it, for fear of upsetting the seal on mine, but I see no reason for an olive to be present on an external threaded joint.
If mine was leaking there, I would use PTFE ‘plumbers tape’ to try to fix it.

I hope that helps?

Ian

·
Registered
290 Posts
I thought the grease gun type were pretty crap and overpriced tbh. I purchased the bath type one and have been really pleased with it's performance for £75 I paid for it with the no loss connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts