MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so my rear hub has one stud that is loose - now I have noticed that you can buy replacement ones, but what would be the point as they are not welded in like the others? What am I missing here? I guess three from the 4 are ok so it doesn't matter if I just either tighten the loose one or just replace it with a bolt instead to grip round the back? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
rover_45
597 Posts
I'm not familiar with MGF or TF but all other Austin/Rover products I am familiar with have spline fit wheel studs - so you can replace them.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,654 Posts
As the studs are splined you need to find out whether the wheel stud is damaged or the hub is damaged - maybe both
I agree, thinking about it, I don’t think a loose stud is a common issue on the F/TF so it is hard to say what part is damaged. If it were my car, given that the drive flange would probably need to be removed to fit a new stud I would be tempted to fit a new drive flange. For example, if the stud is loose due to over torqueing of wheel nuts it is quite possible the other studs are damaged.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, thinking about it, I don’t think a loose stud is a common issue on the F/TF so it is hard to say what part is damaged. If it were my car, given that the drive flange would probably need to be removed to fit a new stud I would be tempted to fit a new drive flange. For example, if the stud is loose due to over torqueing of wheel nuts it is quite possible the other studs are damaged.
A new drive flange??...

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,114 Posts
A new drive flange??...
One of these
Household hardware Gear Gas Nickel Auto part

Picture stolen from ebay...personally, if you are sure the splines are gone I'd get the welder out/take to someone who has one and run a weld/tack around the stud at the rear as it would be cheaper than a new drive flange and although difficult to get to while still fitted on the car it would be possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts