MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while driving home from work the bulb behind my speedo went, the usual banging on the dash didn't work so I thought it's about time to try and replace it.

I'd always imagined it'd be a fiddly job and there seemed to be a lot of threads asking how to do it but not one showing the steps, so I thought I'd post it up.

All you'll need is a couple of screwdrivers, a phillips for the actual screws and a small flathead for removing the sheath over the bulb. The bulb's are 501 types available from anywhere that sells car parts, Hellfrauds have two phillips ones for £2.97, poundland also sell 2 for a quid if you want to keep it cheap.

It takes no more than 10 minutes to do the whole job, and that was for a first time.

First thing to do is locate the 4 screws holding the plastic surround in.
Two are in the top and the other two are behind the blanking plates.

The two behind the blank's are a bit fiddly, especially the one on the right, a magnetic screwdriver is probably a must.

With those screws out the surround just lifts away and leaves you with the instrument binnacle exposed:

There is one screw right at the top of the binnacle and the other two, one at either side, the binnacle then comes right out, now lower the steering wheel right down and unclip the wire plug's behind (colour coded for ease and there are only 4) flip the binnacle over and you have full access to the bulb's.

The 3 for the instrument lights are in the blue twist out holders shown you can see here:

Twist out the one you need and you have a bulb wearing an orange condom!

After 6 years of use it seems the orange sheath (for want of a better word) has stuck itself to the bulb and it takes a minute or so of careful working with a small screwdriver to unstick it, finally I was able to roll the rubber back, bit by bit until it was all off.

It was then a matter of just rolling it carefully back over the new bulb, just like a condom, and reassembling.

Like I said, it took a maximum of 10 minutes and was a pretty rewarding fix.

Hopefully some find this helpful.

Alex

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
nice guide!!

i hate it when bulbs go, i got a box of them for spares from the locally scrappy, they seem to be the same on all rovers all models for the last 20 years.

have some rep +

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Useful - funnly I had mine out at the weekend, I found a long Phillips helps with the lower 2 screws, and a very short one for the top middle one on the actual dials.

·
Registered
rover_45
2,604 Posts
a good guide, except I have fog lights. :dddc:
will that get in the way of removing the dash bits?
and can one change the colour of the bulbs to obtain a different coloured dash glow?

·
Registered
449 Posts
a good guide, except I have fog lights. :dddc:
will that get in the way of removing the dash bits?
and can one change the colour of the bulbs to obtain a different coloured dash glow?

I think they use difussion foil to spread the light, so changing colors is a bit more challenging. dont see why fog lights would make the job more difficult (less easy ;)) then it is.

Changed mine a fex weeks ago, i too was a bit scared to damage something, but this was easier to do then my golf 1 :)

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Not sure how having fog lights will effect changing the dash clock bulbs?

You don't need the orange sheath, the orange filter gives you the orange glow, even with clear bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts