MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi , I am considering replacing my 111 GSi that I have had for over 3 years now with a 214 SEi.

I'm interested to know how well or not so well they handle, ride and do they give you much feedback like the Metro does?

And also how refined are they , road noise wind noise etc...

I have soundproofed my 100 so I would be doing the same to my SEi.

Couple of pics of my 100, I rekon the SEi has the same sort of look to it ... in a way.

Regards

Craig

·
Registered
404 Posts
Craig,

R8's are great cars, well made ,reliable and they drive well.
An SEI is a good trade up from your metro - first of all you will notice the greater width in the cabin and better driving position etc.
In refinement, R8's can vary example to example, some are more noisy than others, my '95 SI is much noisier than my '90 GSI but does have far less soundproofing.
I think all SEi's have power-steering, - it is essential and transforms the car don't buy an R8 without it.
In terms of handling I recon the 214 R8's offer a good compromise between handling and ride, - far better than my ZS that is one thing and not the other!

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the quality really appeals to me. Soundproofing wise Im sure I will be able to add in the stuff that was missed out on later models and then add tonnes more.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think you won't be disappointed!

I own two SEi's and, when well maintained, they're really great cars. Cabin noise is a bit high after 3000rpm, but at low revs and when cruising you can barely notice the engine. Be sure the left engine mount is in good conditions as it really transfigures the smoothness and driving experience.

Driving position is excellent! Far better than my Rover 400 Plus. Engine is also more responsive and pleasant, due to lower global weight.

Comfort and handling are ok. Half leather Recaros are excellent! The brakes are weak and fade really fast.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Craig,

R8's are great cars, well made ,reliable and they drive well.
An SEI is a good trade up from your metro - first of all you will notice the greater width in the cabin and better driving position etc.
In refinement, R8's can vary example to example, some are more noisy than others, my '95 SI is much noisier than my '90 GSI but does have far less soundproofing.
I think all SEi's have power-steering, - it is essential and transforms the car don't buy an R8 without it.
In terms of handling I recon the 214 R8's offer a good compromise between handling and ride, - far better than my ZS that is one thing and not the other!
Well, my Rover 400 has far more comfortable ride than my SEi's. Also handles better and has less bodyroll.

The ZS is stiff, but it's good as hell when cornering. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Having had one for 4 years now and a 214sli for 4 years before this, i would say they are good but not without there faults.

The sei is a hard ride, no problems on smooth roads but hit a pothole and you know about it. The seats take some getting used too, they are very firm but offer good support but when you get over the initial shock they are really good and i dread going back to soft spongy seats :D

Handling wise they are not that hot, plenty of roll and understeer which is safe when on the limit. They are no sports car, just a more refined saloon that benefits from not being too wide so you can poke it through small gaps without fear of losing your mirrors.

The power steering is a godsend, the sli never had it and believe me it was hard work although i was used to it the sei is as slight as a feather which sold it for me.

Spec wise the sei fails in a couple of departments, none of them come with under bonnet felt, so when it rains and the engines hot you get a nice steam effect coming from the car ??? The sli had electric mirrors and sunroof as standard, this has neither?

Still its the nicest of the wedges and you have to have it in nightfire red or its pants tbh :D

P.S. My mother used to have a 16v gti variant of the 100 and boy was it nippy, although i do prefer to have a bit more bonnet in front of me incase of carnage ;)

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Ride is good and comfy.
PAS is very light probably too light.
Suspension is a bit floaty but pretty safe and capable.
Engine is noisy but then you are used to a metro! :D

·
Banned
367 Posts
Spec wise the sei fails in a couple of departments, none of them come with under bonnet felt, so when it rains and the engines hot you get a nice steam effect coming from the car ??? The sli had electric mirrors and sunroof as standard, this has neither?

Still its the nicest of the wedges and you have to have it in nightfire red or its pants tbh :D
Can agree with you regarding the spec of the SEI v SLI, which i thought was a bit strange too,

The SEI's also never had a driver airbag where the rest of the model range did. They also never had the centre armrest in the front, which i thought was a glaring mistake.

You would probably be better getting a late model SLI with power steering, ABS and electric everything and then fitting the leather and matching doorcards from an SEI into it, thats what i did with my tourer,gives you the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Interesting comments. Sounds like the 214 is a solid car , but not particularly good dynamically. How come the SEi has a hard ride? is the SLi's ride softer?

Ive noticed that most of the N reg SEis do not come with a Sunroof and really that is a must for me. I could get an SLi then do an alloy wheel and interior transplant.

Colour wise I agree nightfire red. Looks good in silver but silver is just too common. Charcol grey is nice but doesn't really stand out. BRG not bad , but a little dull dare I say.

Craig

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Interesting comments. Sounds like the 214 is a solid car , but not particularly good dynamically. How come the SEi has a hard ride? is the SLi's ride softer?

Ive noticed that most of the N reg SEis do not come with a Sunroof and really that is a must for me. I could get an SLi then do an alloy wheel and interior transplant.

Colour wise I agree nightfire red. Looks good in silver but silver is just too common. Charcol grey is nice but doesn't really stand out. BRG not bad , but a little dull dare I say.

Craig
The sei i am breaking has a electric sunroof, and all the sei's i have been seeing have one as well.

You will find one with a sunroof!!

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
228 Posts
dollypops said:
The SEI's also never had a driver airbag where the rest of the model range did. They also never had the centre armrest in the front, which i thought was a glaring mistake.
Both my '95 SEi's have driver's side airbag!

Here in Portugal, SEi was the top spec. and most expensive 214 back in 1995.

The standard equipment was:

- Front electric windows
- Central locking with remote control and alarm
- Power Steering
- Driver's AirBag
- Recaro half leather seats
- 185/55R15 wheels
- Different front bumper (=Tourer)

Mine has Air Conditioning too.

Our SLi's had electrics all round and interior fading light, just like the previous GSi's. Tough the most quoted and preferred ones are SEi's :D

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to agree the SEi's are far more special. The SLi versions really do look poor, its amazing how much difference a good interior and those standard alloys make.

Its a shame really because when I tell people I want a 214 they instantly think of the older granddad grey versions, in less appealing colours. Its the same with my 100 , people turn their noses up when I mention I own one , but as soon as they see it , they are often pleasantly suprised. Although now most people seem to think its the scum of the earth.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a SLi - and I wouldn't trade it for any other car TBH, most people my age buy little hatchbacks - god knows why. Cheap, uncomfy, no crash protection at all, plus twice as much as a R8.
My SLi drives well - smooth, quite quiet, good on fuel and comfy, the list goes on.
So with a SEi you'll be smitten I imagine - I know I would be.

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How are they on fuel? . My 111 typical gets around 190 for every £20 I put.

Most people my age (21) who I know are starting to get more expensive cars , but i'd be perfectly happy with an SEi for a few years. Plus in in uni so need something fairly cheap.

My 100 is great fun to drive is fairly refined now I have soundproofed it , but I will never be able to disguise the fact it is pretty crude at heart , with a crashy ride and not a lot of power .

·
Registered
737 Posts
Taking it steady with a mix of driving I reckon I get around 35 - 40MPG.

And dont worry about what other people think - for the money, you wont get a better car IMO.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
Well I've got three R8s, they all drive completely differently!

1992 214Si (90,000miles) - My first car, soft suspension, heavy steering (no PAS), fairly nippy especially after 4,000rpm, spongy brakes, electric sunroof but to be honest I hardly ever use it.

1994 214SEi (60,000miles) - In nightfire red with grey bottom, suspension seems firmer than the Si, not sure if the Si has just gone soft or what. Brakes are very sharp. Glides along beautifully, PAS so nice and light. Firm half leather seats but comfortable. More torque at the bottom end compared to the other 214 as this is multi-point injection and the other is single.

1995 220 Turbo Coupe (42,000miles) - Also in nightfire red, has Spax lowering springs and Koni dampers so suspension is rock hard, no body roll what so ever, goes round corners like you wouldn't believe thanks to uprated front anti roll bar and the fact that it actually has a rear one unlike the other 214s. Brakes arent as sharp as the SEi for some reason, probably just want bleeding though. Not much else on the road can catch it.

I fully soundproofed the Si, doors, bonnet, under carpet, boot, roof, the works basically, however it's not an awful lot quieter than the SEi, They are fairly quiet anyway. The loudest inside is easily the Coupe.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Instead of buying an SLi and trying to transfer interior and wheels etc, why not get a GSi which has the SEi interior (actually the SEI has the GSi interior) and all the toys as standard?

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
No the GSI was on 1.4 and 1.6 modles in 5 door only. The 2.0 GSI was a 3 door only model. As for the car. They are quite refind even today. But be warned that the throttle body on the 1.4 and 2.0 have a majour problem with the stepper motor. It's built into the throttle housing and if it's a tiny bit out it damages the pin that controls the motor and it costs a small fortune to get a new one. You can tell if one is failing or failed.

On the 1.4 if as the engine rises the revs stay the same it's failing, If it stalls under load or bliping the throttle then its failed,

The 2.0 is the same expect for it wont start easily hot or cold and when hot it will smell like a petrol tanker.

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh right , I think the stepper has packed in on my 100. Unplugged it for now.

Ideally I would want a later model with the full colour coding.

Looking for a change from my 100 , had it 3 years and would like a change. How do you think the compare Sejin26? Is the 200 a completely different kettle of fish?

Regards

Craig

1 - 20 of 23 Posts