MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About two months ago i've changed both timing belts,i have noticed that both rear pulley from the adimition cam were a bit loose.Is it normal?because the mechanic used a key to lock it tide,becouse with it loose the car was missing.With the pulley from the admition cam tide with the key the car dosen't misses but i don't feel the same engine power as i used to have before changing the timing belts and i also feel a lag in the acceleration.

My question is : how can i fix the timing? for that i need the tehnical book or i f some one can post it here or give my a link.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Admition cam?
No idea what that is.

The pulleys should not be loose and need to be tightened to the correct torque and it is advised to use thread lock on the bolts as they have a habit of working loose.

You can check the timing. Line the front pulley timing marks up IN><EX and then check the rear timing marks on the pulleys. They should also line up with the line on the rear cover.
If both of these line up then the mark on the crankshaft pulley should be at 12 o'clock.
If the above isn't spot on then the timing is out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Admition cam?
No idea what that is.

The pulleys should not be loose and need to be tightened to the correct torque and it is advised to use thread lock on the bolts as they have a habit of working loose.

You can check the timing. Line the front pulley timing marks up IN><EX and then check the rear timing marks on the pulleys. They should also line up with the line on the rear cover.
If both of these line up then the mark on the crankshaft pulley should be at 12 o'clock.
If the above isn't spot on then the timing is out.
Thanks for the advice,then i should remove the key that the mechanic used to tide them up and instead use thread lock,maybe that's why the timing isn't right,could that be the cause to my problem?at that time i also change the petrol filter,like i said the car hasen't got the power like before and i feel a little lag in the acceleration at low rpm's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG I can see you needing a new VVC mechanism :idea:

I foud now what vvc is becouse i didn't know,all the mechanic did is changed the timing belts,could he meseed the vvc mechanism by doing that?or that could have hapend becouse the timing belts were not mounted in the corect position?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If he used the correct locking tool all should be well.
The problem is that he didn't knew anything about this engine,he did change the belts but like i said in my other posts,he used a key to lock the pulley tide becouse they where lose,he prety much messed around with those pulley to find a solution,where is this vvc mechanism or how could he done something to it,if so like i sow on this forum it's hard to fix,but still is there a way to fix it,some pictures would help or maybe the tehnical book for the car wich i don't have.The simptoms to put it this way are that the car dosen't seem to have the same power like before and there's a little lag in the acceleration,and there's a soud that was not there before caming from the left side pulleys,the mechanic said it's becouse the belt is new.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What do you mean he used a key on the pulleys because they were loose? Can you put some pics up?
By key i meant a little round steel piece about 2-3 centimter long and 2-3 mm wide that the mechanic used to lock the pulleys.

Here a picture i drawn to show what i mean,it's not my engine...i found the picture here on the forum...it resembles mine.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
You say that there is a noise there that wasn't before? Does it sound like a whirring noise? I've got something similiar and have just had my timing belt changed. How much slack is there on the belt? It may be too tight and putting too much pressure on the water pump.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You say that there is a noise there that wasn't before? Does it sound like a whirring noise? I've got something similiar and have just had my timing belt changed. How much slack is there on the belt? It may be too tight and putting too much pressure on the water pump.
A friend of mine took a look at my engine today and he said that the sound might be becouse the belt is too tight,where is this vvc mechanis located,my fried was not able to lacate anything special around the bets.

I have the manual for kseries engine, Cyllinder head vvc, and timing camshaft vvc.
Can u get them scaned so that u cand send them to me,please?i'm intrested about the timing belts vvc mechanism and all that includes direction.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
I'm not too sure about the vvc mechs but I loosened my timing belt last night and the noise stopped. Do you or your mate know how to adjust the timing belt tensioner?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
The VVC mechs are behind the inlet pulleys, no need to mess with them.
If the belt is too tight then it needs to be reset properly to the right tension or it will hum if too tight. The proper way to do it is to use a disposal spring that comes with the OE belt. Unfortunately you never get this spring with pattern parts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The VVC mechs are behind the inlet pulleys, no need to mess with them.
If the belt is too tight then it needs to be reset properly to the right tension or it will hum if too tight. The proper way to do it is to use a disposal spring that comes with the OE belt. Unfortunately you never get this spring with pattern parts.
Yes i got that too it came with the belts,hmm can u post a picture to show exactley where the vvc is located,something happened to the car after replacing the belts,if they only are too tensioned my friend said it's not a big problem,but the car dosen't have the same power as before and there's a little lag in the acceleration al low rpms,could that be becouse the mechanic that changed the belts upset the vvc mechanism or becouse the pulleys were not set to the right position?

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
I think your mechs are probably ok. Mine didn't feel like it had the same power until I loosened the belt a bit. Give that a go first and then you can always move onto the (possibly) more expensive options in needs be.

·
Registered
42 Posts
vvc

A friend of mine took a look at my engine today and he said that the sound might be becouse the belt is too tight,where is this vvc mechanis located,my fried was not able to lacate anything special around the bets.

Can u get them scaned so that u cand send them to me,please?i'm intrested about the timing belts vvc mechanism and all that includes direction.
Ok, i need your email and i send them to you.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts