MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,just got a 620 ti and very pleased indeed having owned cav v6 and mnual senater etc this is certainly the daddy, so pleased in fact that i have already spent £200 for a secondhand steel exhaust from roverdose thanks jon for the number if your about.

And i thort a upgraderd air filter would be sensibal but i have decided to set my self a goal and see if i can reach it i have set 250 bhp l,m not car savvy so hav,nt the fogest how to get the car running at that figure so i was hoping for some much needed guidiance.

i am not that clued up as far as cars go so please go easy on the tec speak, thanks jason

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
250?? it'll take a fair bit. For a start, you've got a full stainless steel exhaust from Drew, so thats cool. a GOOD cone air filter would be idea too, keeping it away from the engine as you'll want cold air to get in there. Then look into a larger turbo, as you'll never get it with a T25 without loads of mods. Also look into a front mounted intercooler to keep the charge temperatures down. After that, its cams, head work, forged pistons etc and you'll be around 250 then :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hi :)

To get 250BHP (reliable) from a 620Ti

YOU WILL NEED
1x set of 4 x Forged pistons
1x T28 (GT28) type turbo
Large Front mount intercooler
5th injector + fuel controller
The ECU "Chipping" (this only removes the turbo boost cut off at 14.5psi)
A Boost controller (don't use a bleed valve.)

You might consider
uprated cams
2.5" or 3" downpipe
Uprated Clutch and gearbox bearings.
Better Brakes

Shocked ? thought so. The reason this is neccessary is because YOU WILL break the standard pistons fairly quickly at anything over 240bhp.

You can run 210 to 220 bhp very well with just upgraded filter exhaust and boost increased to 13psi. (i would advise an uprated intercooler as the standard item is pushed during hot weather and boost levels above 12 psi)

Drew at Roverdose can offer you all the parts and advice you would need.

He's curently working the final stage of my 620Ti upgrade.

HTH

Andy :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts i asked drew about downpipe and he said he was,nt sure who could do it ? i went to preditor exhaust st albans but they did,nt seem to postive and quoated me silly money £275 !!!!would getting this part custom made 2 half inches to the rest of my steel make a worthwhile differance ?

how much would i be looking at for the piston work and intercooler at roverdose ? steve i looked at cone filters but was,nt sure about how to fit as i thort ,,as you have said, it was to close to hot engine i have spent £40 on normal performance filter have i waisted my money ?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A down pipe would not make a massive difference at this stage imo. Howerver a De-cat pipe would be on my preliminary list.

Having "been there and done that" if i were in your position i would start in order something like this.

1st Front Mount InterCooler (FMIC) £350 http://www.gb-ent.com/

2nd GBE Boost modulation valve. http://www.gb-ent.com/ £45

3rd De-cat Pipe (avaiable at any good exhaust shop) £60 approx.

4th BMC carbon dynamic airbox. (or similar closed air box sytem) (any reputable performance parts company) £150 approx

5th Boost Gauge £ 30 approx

Set boost to 13psi and you should see a healthy 220bhp

You can play about with the power band using cams but the standard cams are quite adequate for that level of power and give a decent curve.

Beyond that you need to look at Forged pistons at £500 + labour and the other bit’s and pieces mentioned but then your best off considering what other potential engine work you might want, as it would be best to get the internal engine work done in one foul swoop while it’s in pieces.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks andy for your detailed post, i have steel with de-cat, drew from roverdose spent most of the afternoon getting it to fit as it was a good 12 inch short ???? he was very accomadiating as it ended up being abit of a headach, it,s good to have your list andy as now i can plan, i am also getting a quoate of drew for uprated pistons etc and use that as the base ,and follow down the list. thanks again jason

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
jasonc46 said:
thanks andy for your detailed post, i have steel with de-cat, drew from roverdose spent most of the afternoon getting it to fit as it was a good 12 inch short ???? he was very accomadiating as it ended up being abit of a headach, it,s good to have your list andy as now i can plan, i am also getting a quoate of drew for uprated pistons etc and use that as the base ,and follow down the list. thanks again jason
No worries :)

If it was the 2.5" Mongoose exhaust that came off the Blue 600ti he has there with the carbon black wheels then it was short on a standard car as that 600ti has/had a custom 3" down pipe from Hayward and Scott that repositioned the cat/ de-cat

http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk/products.htm

Andy

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Any where between 10 and 30 mpg .... right foot dependant.

When mine was running 270+bhp i was still getting 30mpg on a steady run.

Andy

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Ti-Andy said:
A down pipe would not make a massive difference at this stage imo. Howerver a De-cat pipe would be on my preliminary list.

Having "been there and done that" if i were in your position i would start in order something like this.

1st Front Mount InterCooler (FMIC) £350 http://www.gb-ent.com/

2nd GBE Boost modulation valve. http://www.gb-ent.com/ £45

3rd De-cat Pipe (avaiable at any good exhaust shop) £60 approx.

4th BMC carbon dynamic airbox. (or similar closed air box sytem) (any reputable performance parts company) £150 approx

5th Boost Gauge £ 30 approx

Set boost to 13psi and you should see a healthy 220bhp

You can play about with the power band using cams but the standard cams are quite adequate for that level of power and give a decent curve.

Beyond that you need to look at Forged pistons at £500 + labour and the other bit’s and pieces mentioned but then your best off considering what other potential engine work you might want, as it would be best to get the internal engine work done in one foul swoop while it’s in pieces.

Cheers

Andy

Spot on Advice from Andy!

One thing i would add it that it may be worth while making sure your 600ti is running properly to begin with. Check that you are getting full boost at about 2200 rpm and that there are no fault codes in the ECU.

Always start by getting the standard car running properly before adding the mods.

Also, by following Andies advice, you may not want any more power. The car will drive supperb and give reasonable economy. The gear box, with the exception of the diff bearings, should be OK provided you are not too hard on it.

Move up to 250BHP and it does get rather expensive!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
guel economy..hatre to think how long your last tank of fuel has lasted you andy :( whens she sgonna see the road again? (hijack sorry)

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
5 Posts
hello from turkey guys,

i had a 1994 220 turbo as well and all i got is 185 hp, with no problems at the car. also my turbo boosted up to 1 bar. by the way, there was no fun tuned to up ehrn getting higher speed. you cannot find it. it only funs standart air.
and it was same as it was 0.9 bar. we could not find any reason. i wonder that is it normal or not since it is kind of a real letdown for me. all other is stock.
any comments?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts