MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to the other thread, I have bought wheelnut covers RRJ10001 which are £3.71 for four. I understand they should press on. How should they go onto the locking stud? Simply pushing them with one's hand doesn't seem to be enough (but then again, I have the strength of a horse - "My Little Pony" :gfight:).

Hammer and cloth job?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whatever you do don't hammer them on, or you will have a real struggle getting them off again!

They should just push on relatively easily, but if someone has used an air wrench on them in the past, the edges of the slots on the nuts have probably been burred.

This had happened to my original set, and as a temporary measure, I removed the burrs with a file when the nuts were off. Have a look to see if you can see any damage to the slots on the locking nuts before you go any further.

ceejbee.

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ceejbee said:
Whatever you do don't hammer them on, or you will have a real struggle getting them off again!

They should just push on relatively easily, but if someone has used an air wrench on them in the past, the edges of the slots on the nuts have probably been burred.

This had happened to my original set, and as a temporary measure, I removed the burrs with a file when the nuts were off. Have a look to see if you can see any damage to the slots on the locking nuts before you go any further.

ceejbee.
Hmmm..."slots"? Does that mean the covers only fit on a particular way round?

Perhaps I'll leave my wheels as they are till my next service, I would hate to do something wrong. :gfight:

Thanks for the "don't hammer" advice. In fact, it just struck me I should PM ceejbee, i.e. you! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts