MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the ZR section, but could be of use to anyone with an MG I guess!

I recently bought a pair of nice, shiny new red and black badges for my ZR. Got to fitting them this weekend, took some pics to help others who may be unsure how to go about fitting them.

The first stage in fitting new badges is to get the old ones off. Ideally, this needs to be done without damaging the paintwork around the badge. The best way to attack them is with a combination of heat and something stiff to get behind the badge. I used my wife's hairdryer and a plastic picnic knife.
Heat the badge gently, while working the knife behind the badge, working on one side at a time until you can grip the badge with your fingers and pull it off.

This will leave you with a gap where the badge used to be, with some left-over adhesive pad from the old badge;

This needs to come off, and what I found worked well was to scrape off the worst with the plastic knife (or a 0.50mm feeler guage, as I stood on my knife and broke it!), and attack the remaining adhesive with some WD-40 and kitchen roll (I used a WD-40 pen, which worked brilliantly!). After cleaning, you should be left with this;

Much better! :D Now, to the badges...

When I came to test-fit the new badges, I found that there is a difference between the aftermarket badge and the original badge, in that the bottom of the original badge is slanted to fit into the bodywork, and the replacement isn't; (replacement on left, original on right)

So, to correct this, I carefully filed down the bottom three edges of the octagon at an angle to match the orginal badge. See here the difference between the filed badge and the un-filed badge (both the replacement badges);

The badges file down easily, as they are made primarily of brass so are quite soft compared to the metal file I was using!

Once they are filed down, and you are happy with the fit (keep trying and filing a little bit off until it fits perfectly), it's time to stick them in! :hyper:
Most of the badges come with a self-adhesive pad in the back of them. This is probably adequate, but I chose to add a few small blobs of cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) to the back of the badges to really hold them on! Don't use too much, however, or it will come out around the edges of the badge and look awful up close.

Once they are firmly stuck in, stand back and marvel! :broon:

·
Registered
mg_zr
2 Posts
badges look good mate, I own a black zr and just bought some whit and black badges which i should get in the post tomorrow. Just a exhaust and HID kit to do next!

·
Registered
7 Posts
looking good, this has saved me asking the best way lol as badge changing is on my list of things to do to the car (quickly becoming a long list)

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I need some new badges, where did u get them from i want that colour aswel.... iv seen some on ebay but i think they might be the ones that just stick over ur existing badges.... can anyone send me a link to the proper badges like the ones above pleasee :D
cheers
chaz

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I need some new badges, where did u get them from i want that colour aswel.... iv seen some on ebay but i think they might be the ones that just stick over ur existing badges.... can anyone send me a link to the proper badges like the ones above pleasee :D
cheers
chaz
Thats the ones from the eBay!

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
These were the badges I used, fella! And look jolly good they did too. :broon:
Yess, these were the ones i was looking at but i did see some like 2 for £5 or something and they were just stick on ones to go over your existing badge i dint fancy them ones as when i pressure was the beast dint want them to fly off ;)

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ones I linked certainly won't pressure wash off! Made of solid brass and enamel paint, all coated with a layer of clear lacquer. Really good quality to be fair! Available in plenty of colour combo's too! :broon:

(PS, I don't actually work for them or owt, just like to share a good product)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts