MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a carputer and have the machine and a screen with AV inputs, bot how do I connect them?

thanks
Carl

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
If the machine and scren have VGA output and input use them. If not and they both have a composite video output/input then you can use that you simply need a phono cable to connect them. VGA is the better connection and gives much better resolution so use that if you can but composite out will work too.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
In all honesty if the screen doesn't have a VGA connection the resolution on the screen won't be great... it's made for video etc

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a standard monitor port on the pc and av in on the lcd can i directly connect them?

Also how can i power the pc?

Thanks Carl

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'd say no to the connecting them directly... I can't really offer you any more advice when it comes to that... tho there is this: http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/759/0/

As for powering it, you can either shell out about £100 for a good Opus 12v power supply made specifically for Carputers or you could try using an inverter... personally I'd got for the first option...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a standard monitor port on the pc and av in on the lcd can i directly connect them?

Also how can i power the pc?
As you have described them you cannot directly connect the PC to the LCD.

The standard PC output port is VGA, a 3 row D type connector. If the LCD does not have a VGA input, then you cannot use this connection.

If the LCD does not have a VGA connector, it will probably have a composite video input, normally a phono connection. If your PC does not have this output, you cannot connect via this either.

You could get a video card for the PC with both VGA and composite out. Easy. However, as said by E_T_V the picture quality on composite is pretty rubbish when compared to VGA.

I would recommend looking for a small LCD with VGA input. Difficult.

You can power the PC two ways.

Throw away the PC internal power supply and shop around for a special one that works off 12 volts. Difficult.

Buy a 12 volt - 240 volt inverter. These are available from Maplin. As long as you specify one with adequate power, this will power the PC. Easy.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Try this company.
http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=104

Their cheapest vga to video converter is £99.

Its not a simple matter and therefore not cheap to convert vga to video.

PC monitors run at frequencies of 31Khz horizontal & at least 60Hz vertical (non interlaced as well) whereas Tvs require a 15Khz horizontal and 50Hz vertical, interlaced signal. The RGB & HV sync signals also needs combining into the single composite signal.

If your LCD accepts S-video input this will give a sharper image.

If you are using a PC, can you not fit a graphics card with a composite video output included - that's the cheapest option?

·
Registered
88 Posts
unless its a touchscreen then its not going to be that useful- you will still have to use a keyboard and mouse. Most of the non-touch screens only have s video or composite input, great for dvd headrest screens but not much use as a main control screen.

Inverters have there good and bad points too- its not just like a mains switch, and anyway, you do not specify what kind of computer you have- if its made to be put in a car then it may expect 12v anyway.

You really need to research this a bit more.... i suggest the forums at mp3car.com would be a good place to start.

gl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts