MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gotten my baby back from a repair centre, having had a new bumper and wing fitted.

The work looks ok, the colour matches, which surprised me...

But, the bonnet, at the front, is not a snug fit against the top of the bumper. There is a gap. Now, it could be my memory tricking me, but I am sure the bonnet was a better fit up against the bumper. The gap measures betweem 5mm and 7mm wide, which does not sound much but seems huge!!

How snug are other peoples bonnets?

cheers

mikef

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mike,

I had this exact problem after my front end was repaired...but its not been solved... I did raise it with them as I felt my gap was larger than before and they couldn't really alter anything to change the gap...

Not sure if moving the catch mechanism at all would help tighten the gap..

Sorry that I can't help really but just highlighting that yours isn't a unique problem...

Chris

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Mikef said:
Just gotten my baby back from a repair centre, having had a new bumper and wing fitted.

The work looks ok, the colour matches, which surprised me...

But, the bonnet, at the front, is not a snug fit against the top of the bumper. There is a gap. Now, it could be my memory tricking me, but I am sure the bonnet was a better fit up against the bumper. The gap measures betweem 5mm and 7mm wide, which does not sound much but seems huge!!

How snug are other peoples bonnets?

cheers

mikef

The shut lines/panel gaps are not exactly the best on the F/TF but can be adjusted to a certain degree.

The most common is the huge gap (as Chris has pointed out) whenever the front bumper on the `F` has been removed/re-fitted..
Quite easy to sort.... slacken five bumper fixing screws under bonnet, slacken 2 bumper fixing bolts (Behind indicator on the `F`) then just lift the bumper and re-tighten ( you may need a hand, ie one lift, the other tighten).

The same doubless could apply to the TF (it did on mine), but also the bonnet can be brought forward a little on the hinges/stricker plate to give a few MMs more!!.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and pciture...thats a much better fit than on my TF. I'll take it back and talk to them about it...

Another quick question if I may...

The grille at the back below the reg plate, what can you see through yours? I'm sure I couldn't see the exhaust system before, but I can now...I'm not sure if I am just noticing things becuase I just got the car back and am being hyper critical....but the look from behind just doesn't 'seem right'..

cheers

mikef

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Mikef said:
.....The grille at the back below the reg plate, what can you see through yours? I'm sure I couldn't see the exhaust system before, but I can now........
thats all you should be able to see

G

·
petevick said:
thats all you should be able to see
I can't see mine through the gap, I'm sure....I thought it was lined with something....I would check but I've just got in from work, I'm very grubby and I'm sitting on the bed in my undies waiting for my bath to run...don't want to shock the neighbours!

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
ok, so you'll see part of the heat shield at the top of the gap, but under that is the zaust box, if you can't see it, its dropped off :yikes:

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andie B said:
I can't see mine through the gap, I'm sure....I thought it was lined with something....I would check but I've just got in from work, I'm very grubby and I'm sitting on the bed in my undies waiting for my bath to run...don't want to shock the neighbours!
Sorry, took me some time to get my self together atfter that post...

Sorry - what I emant was that if you looked throught e grill, you could see the exhaust system.

As Pete says, i think that is correct, I just cant remember how it was before. I'll go around looking at TF back ends for the next few days.

Theres a lesson here about taking lots of photos of your car, because you never know when you will need to refer back to them.

Anyway, I'm taking it back next week to have the bumper looked at. The more I examine it, the more I am spotting imperfections in the fit.

Theres probably another lesson about letting your other half use your car to go to work.....but thats another discussion.

cheers all

mikef

1 - 11 of 11 Posts