MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reversed out of a friends drive yesterday, but failed to notice that the very right hand side of it wasn't dropped. I noticed when I felt the rather large bang as the right side of the car dropped onto the kerbstone. This has resulted in the panels seperating at the rear right jacking point, as if then been split with a chisel or something.

Since I don't want water getting it in and rusting away I was just going to fill the gap with some 2ton 24hr epoxy and then clamp in closed. However, I remember reading that this may be a structural area and therefore may need to be welded back together. Is it ok to just glue the two seams back to stop rust intrusion?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
erm, which two seams are we talking about? the ones which meet at the jacking point, along the sill?

If so, and the sill is damaged, the only way to fix would be a new sill, stops the rust that way, and yeh i believe it is structural, and if your sills start to rust, will fail MOT

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
That's where the side sill is welded at the bottom. You need to get it fixes as soon as possable and DON'T crash the car. How big is the crack?. I am supprised that it has damaged it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Needs more than welding, needs bending back into shape then welded and sealed.

Might be looking at 100 quid, depends if it's done any other damage.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I think you are going to need a new sill like XPower Gray said. If they bend it it will be weaker. Also the flange has been broken off where it was welded. Also it looks like the tin worm has already started on the far left.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, its been given the once over by my local independant and hes going to take it in tuesday and repair it. He did however say that it wasn't serious or dangerous and to continue to drive it would be fine.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I would have to disagree with that. It is dangerous the sill of the car is now exposed to the elements and it will also weaken the body shell in a crash. I WOULD not drive it like that and you best hope PC plod does not see it and pull you up as he will have you for driving an unfit vehicle. Have you every used the garage you are taken it to.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I've left my degree in metallurgy in my other jacket, but I think it's safe to say that looks pretty nasty.

Your local independent may well be right and I'm not going to second-guess him, but the fact of the matter is that any structural seam coming loose will compromise the car in an impact. Please be careful.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have used that garage for the last 15 years and he is very good. Bear in mind that that hole is only about 1/2" - 3/4" long.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating your garage.

But I've had old-timers, who really know their stuff, tell me that the correct torque for brake carrier bolts is "...as tight as you can get it. Use your weight.". Yeah, right. This is the same bloke that changes fuel filters while smoking and thinks that hot tarmac is a good jacking surface. Other than that, he's diamond.

So while he may have reached a ripe old age without killing himself, there is probably an element of luck involved.

I'm not being over-dramatic, fella - If your mechanic says it'll be fine I have no reason to doubt him. Just be careful because you're dealing with (to you and most of the rest of us) an unknown. Hate to have you post here from the hospital.

Remember this - it's you in the car, not him.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Personally, not going to slate anyone, but I would take it to an established bodyshop or MOT centre, as thats the best and easiest way of being sure! They REALLY know their stuff!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts