MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy peeps.Just had my two month old Zs 120 break down on me last tuesday.Put the foot down...nothing,dropped a gear,same again.Car was idling at about 500-750 rev's and was a horrid smell of eggs in the car.

Got the AA to toe me to the garage where I baught the car and they diagnosed Ignition Coil failure.Just wondering if their are an problems linked to it I should be worried about,Because I wouldn't call them the brightest sparks in the world in the garage.Any Input aprieciated.

Cheers,
Col.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
If a coil goes down you lose 2 cylinders. Did it die when it was raining?

This may wreck the cat. This will show up as a fault logged by the ECU when fixed. Eggy smell is cat objecting to unburned fuel. When fixed give it some stick to burn it off. Have the fault codes checked after by the dealer.

Also coil failure may take out ECU if it is a secondary winding open circuit. This will be obvious when coil is changed.

What is wrong with coils today. Years ago, coils just did not go wrong. Now with thse multi coil systems there is trouble. VW and Renault have had major problems with theirs.

G

·
It might be worth getting the emissions checked after fitting the new coil - just in case some damage has been done to the cat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts