MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a hgf in May 06 and the head was skimmed by .6mm. (S reg MGF).

Just 9 months & 5k later I've had another hgf and when the head went for skimming the engineers said that the last skim done, in May 06, was rubbish and not entirely even.

Is this at all possible? (As this is what the garage has told me)

Could the May 06 repair have even lasted for 5k before blowing again anyway if this is the case?

Should the May 06 mechanics have become aware the head was uneven when they went on to repair?

It it therefore obvious that the uneven head caused the latest hgf?

Thanks for any replies as this is the best place on the web to get good advice.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
sounds possible. might not have needed one in the first place.

the may repair could have lasted for 5k

did they find the root of the problem? they don't go for no reason at all.

i would suspect the mechanics sent it off to a machine shop for it to be done - that's the norm - and just rely on what they have been given back

really it should have been tested and skimmed only if it was out.

which engine is it btw? a VVC?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for that.

The garage have not given any other reason as to why it failed so soon after the May hgf but they have said the last skim wasn't done correctly so I assume that that would be the reason, or not?

It's not the vvc version engine.

I know who did the last skim so maybe I should call them? Is it not negligence on their behalf? Surely it has been a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what sounds like to me mate is the garage did the norm hgf removed it outomaticly sent it away for skim and crack test which i do everytime even if it doesnt need pease of mind then you know the face of the head is right and no craks in the head .
but could be other reason for the head going in the first place ie thermostat,rad cap,airlock and wayetrpump

so when they rebuilt it they may not have solved the orignal fault if you are having it redune i would recomend you tell the garge that it has been done recently and on 5000 miles ago and for the little extra £ could they change the above save alot of dissapointment it going again it would proberly only cost you an extra £50 max

hope this helps mate

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Hi, thanks for that.

The garage have not given any other reason as to why it failed so soon after the May hgf but they have said the last skim wasn't done correctly so I assume that that would be the reason, or not?

It's not the vvc version engine.

I know who did the last skim so maybe I should call them? Is it not negligence on their behalf? Surely it has been a ticking time bomb.
they dont "just fail" though - the cause has to be found, or in your case it goes again not long afterwards. It could be as simple as a £5 expansion tank cap.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
I'm willing to be the liner heights weren't checked!

Did the engine overheat prior to the first failure?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been very frustrating as the garage who have carried out the work have done so with no authority.
It was initially sent to them as a warranty claim and I had to give permission for them to strip the engine. However, the garage did this and went on to repair it with no authority from either myself or the warranty company.

The garage have been extremely cagey since. I have asked for the invoice and to see what work was done and what the cause of the hgf was.

They've not given me anything in writing and have just said the cylinder wasn't skimmed properly and can I know settle the bill please as the warranty will not.

I'm annoyed as I had extensive work carried out with the previous hgf and I want to know what caused the failure as so many parts are only 8 months old.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Trading standards time maybe, shoddy workmanship.

Be nice to begin with.

the problem is four partys

You.

the warranty company (Let me guess "Warranty Direct"?)

the Garage that did the work (did they cure the cause).

the engineering shop that did the naff skim (they would be the most likley to blame because of a naff skim).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm very suspicious to say the least.

This garage has prevented me from making my own enquiries as an 8 month old part may have failed this time around and I would have had a 12 month guarantee with it-I even checked on here yesterday if that was the case.

I have a feeling that when I told the garage there had been a very recent hgf with my car then they may have thought 'let's charge for a lot more than is needed' and left me with a bill of nearly £1500 after the warranty refused to pay it.

I wish they were open today as I would have a real rant about this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trading standards time maybe, shoddy workmanship.

Be nice to begin with.

the problem is four partys

You.

the warranty company (Let me guess "Warranty Direct"?)

the Garage that did the work (did they cure the cause).

the engineering shop that did the naff skim (they would be the most likley to blame because of a naff skim).
It is that warranty company!!

How am I a part of the problem though? I couldn't possibly know the head wasn't skimmed properly and the only time I found out a problem was when it blew after a 140 mile journey. There was never any sign of any problems at all prior to that.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Its not that your part of the problem.

its just more partys than normal

normal is

you.

The garage.

+ sometimes

trading standards.

it just your two extra partys of the warrenty company and the engineering workshop that did the skim will make it more difficult to chase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its not that your part of the problem.

its just more partys than normal

normal is

you.

The garage.

+ sometimes

trading standards.

it just your two extra partys of the warrenty company and the engineering workshop that did the skim will make it more difficult to chase.
Got you.

I guess on what I can go on with the garage being so vague is that the skim wasn't done properly which has caused, in all probability, the latest hgf?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It comes down to whoever authorised the work.

Did you sign anything, Arthur? Job sheet etc?
No, I didn't sign anything at all. I just gave permission for it to be stripped to find the fault, and the cause of it I guess, over the phone. This is just the standard when making a warranty claim with this company and probably any warranty company.

I know for a fact the garage repaired it and then called the warranty company for authority as I have the written refusal letter saying so.

The garage can't claim I agreed to a repair as I had had a very recent hgf repair and would have wanted details about the new hgf in case any part fitted would be under a 12 month guarantee that failed so soon.

Plus, I didn't even have an estimate or have the chance to ask for one!

It stinks.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Then I would say you have a good case.

They still have your car?

I somehow doubt the initial skim could have been faulty - it just doesn't happen - plus if it were a poor skim, why the hell did the workshop put it back together in the first place?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts