MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought...

Seen lots of new people join up recently and posting away...sometimes with 'strange' opinions for an enthusiast...or digging for particular information.....wonder if any of them are from the gutter press????

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnSwitzer said:
I am a journo... but don't worry, only when it comes to oil heating ;)

John
But I did use the ter, 'gutter press' to ensure such top blokes as you John were excluded

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Yes....I'm sure there have been many here, both in guest and member form over the past few days.......

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,110 Posts
I haven't been in - stuck in Germany at exactly the wrong moment.

I'm writing up the events so far for austin-rover.co.uk, and being honest, I feel like crying. And no, I'm not ashamed to admit that...

Regards,
Keith

·
Registered
rover_75
207 Posts
That ARG guy... said:
I haven't been in - stuck in Germany at exactly the wrong moment.

I'm writing up the events so far for austin-rover.co.uk, and being honest, I feel like crying. And no, I'm not ashamed to admit that...

Regards,
Keith
Same here Keith. Lets hope we can salvage something out of this....

·
Registered
49 Posts
My first post here :)

Not an owner of a Rover, although we have had 10's in our family previously - must be above 20 cars I reckon, ranging from metro's to 827's, various MG's, Montego's, Maestro's 620's, Land Rovers, 400's etc etc... Although not a great fan of their current range, all of the cars we have ever owned from Rover have been absolutely excellent in terms of reliability and comfort. I am here because I would like to show my appreciation for the support of the members in this forum for the company and more importantly their country. Your example should be followed by fellow countrymen.

·
Registered
mg_zr
370 Posts
Thanks for your suppoort... There seems to be a growing sympathy for the Rover situation out there... I guess it's like the saying 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone' (or at least danger of it going).

-Rob- :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I left the UK 14 years ago, but have always felt British and still do. I hope that the Rover situation will not turn out like every other story in the demise of UK industry, and that people will realise what is happening to THEIR country. As an outsider, I may have had the benefit of being able to witness just how much the situation has changed in the UK. It pains me every time I go back for Christmas, when I see the bordered up houses, dumped cars on streets, and generally delapidated ghost towns. I dread to think what the small Lancashire village where I grew up now looks like. When I lived there as a small child, I didn't fully realise the significance of the remains of the old adandoned cotton mills, and torn up train tracks, although I did dream of what it must have been like back then in the hay day of British industry and activity. But it is never too late. British people should wake up and show some support. Buy British, and be proud to be British. BTW - if I could vote, the Rover situation would be one of the reasons why I would NOT vote for Labour. For your interest, I am an automotive journalist.

PS: Sorry if this is too political - it is just that I hope the Rover situation will be a wake up call, and trigger people to show some more support for the country as well as the company.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Revival, thanks for your comments - your post has prompted me to re-post this rant:

For me MGR is symbolic of the manufacturing sector in this country. MGR has been around forever, in one form or another, and you see the cars on almost every journey.

Losing MGR is like admitting defeat. If MGR goes, we might as well just sell up all of our manufacturing industries to foreigners and all go and push paper around.

If there was one thing that made this country special it was the industrial revolution. That, and democracy, gave us the standard of living we have today. Successive governments have turned their back on what made this country GREAT Britain, in search of the quick buck, and re-election. With five years between elections, its easy to understand why politicians never look at the long term view. But we need to maintain the diversity in our economy, even if it costs, or we will be vulnerable (ironically, just like MGRs suppliers five years ago).

Economic growth doesn't interest me. I don't want my house to be worth hundreds of thousands. I just want a house, and a comfortable living, and the same for everyone else. Instead what we have is an ever increasing gulf between the undervalued workers and highly paid money driven suits. We are becoming a society of the haves, and the have nots, just like the United States. That is the unacceptable face of capitalism.

We still have some of the best minds in the world, but perpetual underinvestment in science and technology means we are losing them abroad. Soon our engineering and science will be limited to training foreign students, and our only major contribution to the world will be a popular second language.

And then we may wonder why our ancestors bothered fighting those wars, and why they didn't just let market forces prevail...

It's a betrayal of the millions who have over hundreds of years given all they could to build and protect a great nation.
I've plenty of friends from around the world, and they are good people, but I'm sure the millions who went to war for King and country didn't intend for us to give our crown jewels away less than a century later.

Whew, rant over...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
It's a betrayal of the millions who have over hundreds of years given all they could to build and protect a great nation.
I've plenty of friends from around the world, and they are good people, but I'm sure the millions who went to war for King and country didn't intend for us to give our crown jewels away less than a century later.
It's as simple as to me.

Britain no longer has auto, shipbuilding, electronics, commercial aircraft, or steel industries sixty years after the end of the second world war...
Did our parents/uncles/brothers fight for this? For box stores and chain pubs?

A lot of people feel as if they cannot support Britain without reservations; I have not a few myself. If you are one of these I would say; the Empire is gone. We no longer have to feel guilty about that at least.

But look around you. As each industry goes and the decent jobs go, we become uglier, more avaricious, more of a parody of those things that everyone always said we were - a nation of Lions led by Donkeys, perfidious Albion, a nation of stockbrokers and the unemployed.

Think about what the previous generations fought for. A land fit for heroes. Well; is it?

<Sorry, I'll cease ranting now; actually I'm quite sober too... What a waste of a good evening!>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts