MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for a bit of reassurance! Had a job done on my 45 that involved removing and refitting the timing belt. When the engine was restarted it ran roughly and noisily because the belt was slightly mis-timed - only one tooth I think. The mechanic assured me this was nothing like enough to do any damage.

I've always been rather paranoid about valve timing being spot-on, because of the small clearance between valves and pistons on this sort of engine.

How far out can it be without doing permanent harm?

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I agree with your mechanic, one tooth is not going to do any damage.

You don't want any more than that though.

Who fitted the belt?

·
Registered
rover_45
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I hope it was only one tooth - I didn't get a really good look.

·
Registered
rover_45
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was only run for a few seconds, but I'm not sure why he had to rev it to see how horrible it was!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
98 Posts
Hello! I just wanted to reply to this! In Corfu I went to High!! quality service store because I had a strange noise in my car! I told him not to rev it to high because I have an issue with the engine, and immediately he hi rev the car! I wanted to slap him, but I just didn't go there again, I just listen to their commercial on the radio!

He had to rev it because some people want to hear the so called problem to rip you off, my bad for telling this, but it is the truth most of the time!!!!!!!!!

:***::ts:

·
Registered
mg_zs
597 Posts
I've seen some of the engine tuning vets on here point out that 1/2 a tooth out is tolerable on a stock engine and can often happen, but really if you expect to get the timing belt on right first time with any k-series you're delusional.

Get the allen key out and it can be fixed easy enough so long as you can see TDMC. If it was done by a mechanic, really, they should have checked, but it's also a 10 minute job to correct.

If there was contact with anything you would know, because frankly it will either destroy the vale, or it won't. There is no in between.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts