MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys how far can you tune a 214Si
its quick as **** now but i want more
is there a turbo kit or some really funky stuff i can do?

Cheers
Si

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Tell us what you are willing to spend and we will tell you what you could get.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
well you could get another car, maybe a faster one... lol
just out of interest how much power could you get out of a 1.4 realistically?
also ive been told the 1.6 is in the same insurance group as the 1.4 is this true?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
dac said:
well you could get another car, maybe a faster one... lol
just out of interest how much power could you get out of a 1.4 realistically?
also ive been told the 1.6 is in the same insurance group as the 1.4 is this true?
300+bhp is achivable out a 1.4 ,been done for around 15k, was developt for cheif of McLaren

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wibble

And on a random note let it be known that i will find your and eat you little fingers for lunch............:wtf:

seriosly guys the 1.6 is 2 cats above the 1.4 found out when trying to explain the gearbox 2 my insurance company.....
that money covers insurance 2 so thats £1500 off for starters......

Any ideas PLEASE........

Si

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Rock It said:
And on a random note let it be known that i will find your and eat you little fingers for lunch............:wtf:

seriosly guys the 1.6 is 2 cats above the 1.4 found out when trying to explain the gearbox 2 my insurance company.....

Any ideas PLEASE........

Si
if you do anything too mad your insurance will go up crazy amounts, buy a faster car mate, the Zr160?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Rock It said:

In which case put at least an extra £3k awy per year for insuring the modified version of your car.

Sorry, but the best advise would be to wait until insurance is affordable.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Turbo conversion!!!!!

if not, for 1600 (if you go on themgzr.co.uk) they are doing a 1.4 to 1.8 upgrade which will give you 140 bhp, then with the ITG maxogeb, full Janspeed exhaust system, Lightened Flywheel, Pulleys the lot you can get 160bhp no bother, a guy on the other site has it done.

Best talk to PTP mate.

Think im right in saying its still classed as a 1.4 as your only modifying the engine, not replacing it.

Dont really know how that would effect insurance.

You should be able to do all that for under 3K no probs.

Might want to upgrade your brakes as well though mate - prob the 160 setup.

or save up the 5K plus over the next 2 years, punt on the 1.4 and buy a 160.

Comes with the 160 brake setup as standard funnily enough ;)

Hope its of some help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers

I allready have these mods.............
  • Rover 214Si
  • pipercross viper inductin Kit
  • G-max lowerd
  • pipercams race cams
  • 216sli gearbox and d
  • Power flow exhaust
  • Drilled/ vented front discs
What is the next logical step.... need alloy wheels i know
HELP

Si

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Well for the 1.4 i think ive explained what way id go if i wanted 'go' rather than show, but the other way i guess i would:

ZR or RGM skirts

ZR rear bumper with heatshield

ZR front splitter

Smooth grill/bumper/handles/locks/bumpstrips

ZR Spoiler

Some ABC rear lights and de-orange your fronts

Alloys.

will get noticed mate, but it will prob cost about the same, if not more than, the 'power' mods!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
Engine wise you could go for: Performance exhaust manifold, sports cat/decat, a gasflowed head, Vernier cam gears to set up your cam timing more precisely, and a set of Jenvey individual throttle bodies, and an after market ECU to run them. If your just wanting to know what people can acheive with the 1.4K, then im sure you would be looking at 140bhp with all the above. It will be very revvy, and the rev limit needs to be raised to 7200rpm the same as the VVC engines. For a Nasp 1.4 engine this is a very good output. The realistic maximum power before it gets very/too expensive for a 1.4K is about 120bhp though!

Turbo'd 1.4K's can apparently make about 140bhp on std internals, but there's little point in going for forced induction, and all the expense and compromised power delivery this entails for 140bhp IMO. A strengthened and built for turbo'd version could produce a fair bit more, but even so i cannot see any real point in trying to get much over 160-175bhp, from a 1.4 engine that might not be that nice to drive or use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts