MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I got some 12.99 chrome door pins off ebay. Took the door card off and just could not work out how to remove the original door pins short of using a hack saw!! Seriously, i couldn`t get them to budge. I`ve had a look for how-to on petes site and on the web but with no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, has anyone got the door pins i am talking about? Do you like them. On the ebay photo they look fine but in reality i`m not sure. I`m actually considering re-selling them and going for the MS door pins at £23. I just think these ones look clumpy.

Chris

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Don't think I've ever had them off so might be wrong about this. All the other MGRs I've had, they screw off.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I wonder how many F/TF owners down the years have bought a set of normal threaded type pins and then come un-stuck when they tried to fit them?..

Not that I did of course!.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Good luck with them, I did mine a while back with the Satur ones, though bodged it up so much I went out and got soem MGFCentre ones which were a lot bettee made by looking at them, anyway took my time and got them sitting the exact same height and am pleased with em now.

And yeah the only way to get the old tops of is with a hacksaw blade in that gap, well that's the only way I came up with. :)

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Good luck with them, I did mine a while back with the Satur ones, though bodged it up so much I went out and got soem MGFCentre ones which were a lot bettee made by looking at them, anyway took my time and got them sitting the exact same height and am pleased with em now.

And yeah the only way to get the old tops of is with a hacksaw blade in that gap, well that's the only way I came up with. :)

Jesus, always thinking of you when I hear sth. about new door lock pins.
Do you remember that hell of a job :lol: :rofl:

Hacksaw and pliers would be useful ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
They push onto the steel rod, I can definately confirm this and would warn you that you need to take the door card off and hold the steel rod very tightly or take it off of the lock assembly to remove the plastic tops or you will snap the plastic loop on the lock motor! I know as I did just that myself two weeks ago. Also when re fitting the door card remove the plastic bush that fits around the pin hole as this will help you to get the card back on and re fit the plastic bush last.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Additionaly you can fit some velcro material / rubber or so directly to the hole where the pin comes out.
Also some grease into the pin housing couldn't do any harm before refitting.

You'll feel the difference 'cos it can be a source of rattling noises, just in case :)

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Additionaly you can fit some velcro material / rubber or so directly to the hole where the pin comes out.
Also some grease into the pin housing couldn't do any harm before refitting.

You'll feel the difference 'cos it can be a source of rattling noises, just in case :)
The Satur ones I had first came with little rubber rings that fitted in ridges in the pins, though the MGFCentre ones I have now didn't, though they seem to fit better without rattling so I wasn't too bothered. :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I concur that you can remove the pins by way of pulling. You need to apply some real force to pull them though. Thats how i removed mine when putting the MGFC ones.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Interesting, I didn't think that was possible, at least when I tried anyway. That said, if that's case then most of the aftermarket pins would come too high, unless the shaft only sticks in the locking pin very slightly. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts