MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
get a haynes manual, its simple enough but you will need spring compressors to fit the new springs over your existing shocks.

it all unbolts, but my advice would be give each nut and bolt a good spray of WD40 for 2 days before you attempt it as it could dave you a mhell of a lot of hassle

andy

·
Registered
681 Posts
Rusted nuts can be a real pain. If you cant get then to move, a good way I have found is a strong pair of locking grips (mole / vice grips) and plenty of hot water. Pour the hot water slowly over the nut (if possible); this will causethe metal to expand and may slacken it enough for you to get it off.

Obviously this method is less useful for nuts that are underneath something so you cant pour water on it, but there are other ways of warming up the metal......

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Some WD40 on the nuts 10 mins before you start, a breaker bar and those nuts won't be a problem.
If you attempt to just use a rachet only you will struggle. I have a 4 foot breaker bar that can easily be used on the suspension nuts and makes it simple.

·
Registered
464 Posts
rear bolt heads snap off rather than round as he metal collet in the bush rusts to the bolt preventing it from being undone.

lower bolt on front shock will most likely round if a decent 6 sider isnt used on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts