MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks,

I have this (although the spec (RAM etc) has been upgraded from what is shown there) desktop as a backup/second computer and I want to put a bigger/better HDD in (wanted 80/120gig, 7200rpm, 8mb cache etc), but I'm not sure what the max. I can go for is. How do I find this out??? (I've been told I need to find what motherboard I have)?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought!

However, went into a PC shop (Watford Electronics in Luton) the other day to buy one and the bloke told me that I would need to check what motherboard I have as there will be a size limit on the HDD???

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Some older motherboards had limits within the BIOS system which meant they could only handle hard drives upto a certain size. -You could stick say a 120 gig hard drive in, but if it only supported 40gb then the 120 gig drive would work and function fine, but only report as a 40. This could be overcome usually with a BIOS flash/upgrade.
However, on a machine as new as this i strongly doubt there would be any kind of limit. THere is no mention of it in the HDD upgrading guide on that site or in the ROM update file.
Shouldn't be any problems with it.
HTH
Big Dave

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
What is the machines spec? what processor etc? There are limits at 40GB and 137GB. There are lower limits as well but it would have to be quite old to worry about that. Many benchmark/info programs like SiSoft Sandra will tell you what mobo you have.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chrismm27 said:
What is the machines spec? what processor etc? There are limits at 40GB and 137GB. There are lower limits as well but it would have to be quite old to worry about that. Many benchmark/info programs like SiSoft Sandra will tell you what mobo you have.
It has an AMD Athlon 900 Mhz processor, 500MB PC 133 RAM, 20 Gig HDD

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
It's a KT133 chipset so i doubt there'll be a limit on the HD size, although a few years old now it's not THAT old. as to exactly what make the board is it's very hard to tell without opening the case and looking for a model number on the motherboard.

The ABIT KT7 uses the same chipset so i'd go have a read up on that as i imagine the limitations will be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Ok i've just been reading up on ABIT's site. The KT7 is limited to HD size, i can't find exactly what the limit was orriginally but there is a bios release to allow HD size of upto 137Gb and above which suggests the limit was orriginally below 137Gb. If Chris is correct this would suggest a 40Gb limit (although it doesn't seem old enough to suffer from this).

You will really need to find out what motherboard you have exactly as i would say almost certainly your bios will need updating.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Although you have PC133 memory it doesnt mean its running at 133, so you might have an AMD or SIS chipset. If your lucky it will be a KT133A. You really need to find out the mobo model number, it usually say it somewhere at boot up, when it tells your processor speed and memory etc. You might have to reboot a few times to catch it though, it can go passed very fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts