MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
classic_rover
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been picking up things on a few threads, that the 45 replacement needs £80m to get into production and a heavily reworked 75 is almost ready?
Can anyone from MGR (on this forum) can you confirm this? Is their a running prototype for the 45 and is a reworked 75 just another facelift or reshell?

If there is so much good design work going on at MGR and a new model really is this close to production, then it would make good investment sense surely??

Personally I don't think the Rover brand is dead, just use Rover on the "Top Of The Range" models loaded with goodies. All other models should be MG all with a sporting edge, and MG-X (xpower) for the serious performance ones.

I love the SV but hate the name (it reminds me of Suzuki's SV650, a bike favoured by women) how does MG R1 sound???

I hope that they stay in existence I never felt that much pride in all the other cars that I have owned as much as my current one, there really is something about driving British and an MG.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
i was going to post about the weather in here about 5 minutes ago, then thought better of it, now i'm going to put it in the for sale section :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
BIGKEV-zr160 said:
I have been picking up things on a few threads, that the 45 replacement needs £80m to get into production and a heavily reworked 75 is almost ready?
Can anyone from MGR (on this forum) can you confirm this? Is their a running prototype for the 45 and is a reworked 75 just another facelift or reshell?

If there is so much good design work going on at MGR and a new model really is this close to production, then it would make good investment sense surely??

Personally I don't think the Rover brand is dead, just use Rover on the "Top Of The Range" models loaded with goodies. All other models should be MG all with a sporting edge, and MG-X (xpower) for the serious performance ones.

I love the SV but hate the name (it reminds me of Suzuki's SV650, a bike favoured by women) how does MG R1 sound???

I hope that they stay in existence I never felt that much pride in all the other cars that I have owned as much as my current one, there really is something about driving British and an MG.
Agree. The new 45 I was told was ready to be signed off. And for all the naysayers it is quite possible for a company to keep this well under wraps, we only saw the SV a few months before it was unveiled formally, if I remember rightly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, but am I correct in reasoning that the SV was not a new car, merely a facelift? The RD60 project obvioussly does exist to a certain extent, but I know that a lot of the engineering development was not paid for early on. I think that there is a good chance that the project was abandoned early on, after payments were not made for the outsourced development... If the car was 10 months away from hitting the showrooms, I think we would have seen some more prototypes on the road.

I don't want to appear like a 'troll' as you guys put it, but I have followed the development of many other cars and the RD60 project just appears slightly too quiet. Let me put it this way - launching the new car on the market in 10 months would be very tight indeed, as they still need to conduct winter testing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Work on RDX60 ceased 2 years ago. No A-Surface was frozen, nothing was signed off. It's still at least 18 month away from production readiness. Forget it. Even if it does become production ready, there will be no factory to build it in.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
cosb6 said:
Winter testing has been done..... in fact, all testing is done.... the thing is ready to roll......

Well, if you remember, I did report on to this site having seen some 'odd' Rover 75s buzzing up and down the M42 and M5 around Birmingham last year.

Saw a convoy of MG ZT-260s on Thursday afternoon going down the M5. They looked fantastic. Brought a real lump to my throat...

·
Registered
classic_rover
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because if you looked...he replied..."Er why on earth did you post this here"

where should I have posted it then???

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Project Nexus could easily be in production within the next 9 months... or so I am told. I know of at least one component supplier who is ready to roll already with the required parts.

John

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
BIGKEV-zr160 said:
Because if you looked...he replied..."Er why on earth did you post this here"

where should I have posted it then???

Yeah I wondered that as well lol! Seems to me you posted in the appropriate forum. :)

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
AndyTucker said:
Yup - it originally appeared in the 'Was it you?' forum.

Ahh! That explains it lol! Oh well it's in the right place now. BTW I still say that PwC and MG-R need to show some details of RDX/60 NOW in order to gain public support. If Joe or Jane Public see a Fantastic "World Class" product (That they would consider buying) then perhaps they will support any proposed Government loans.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Gus_Mc said:
couldnt agree more Stephen

Thanks. If the other option is that the whole Sheebang goes down the drain I don't see that they have anything to lose by doing this. It could also mean Other manufacturers see it and go "Hmmm? Not bad perhaps we need to look into buying that design, or a part of the company." To me it makes perfect sense. B*W Showed the MINI nearly three years before it went on sale. It didn't hinder sales of that car. On the contrary, it got a lot of people very excited about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts