MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when I'm finished driving (I only really use the car to get into Glasgow, 50 mile mainly motorway round trip), the front wheels of my 25 are a lot hotter than I'd have expected, and definately hotter than the back. I took it into the garage a few weeks ago and they fitted new brake pads to fix it, but it doesnt seem to have made any difference.

what'd cause something like that? apparantly theres nothing rubbing, and its not as if I'm hammering the brakes either

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
I'd get the sliders on the front brake regreased and just given a good clean and the pistons wound back in, sounds like the disks are scrubbing on the pads slightly causing friction which is heating up the wheel.

is one wheel hotter than the other at the front?

andy

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Herzlos said:
I've noticed that when I'm finished driving (I only really use the car to get into Glasgow, 50 mile mainly motorway round trip), the front wheels of my 25 are a lot hotter than I'd have expected, and definately hotter than the back. I took it into the garage a few weeks ago and they fitted new brake pads to fix it, but it doesnt seem to have made any difference.

what'd cause something like that? apparantly theres nothing rubbing, and its not as if I'm hammering the brakes either
What is the expected heat?
Im sure you can expect that after a long journey like that, for the friction with the road to have created a lot of heat.
The fronts are hotter than the back because you are driving a front wheel drive vehicle. The front wheels have to grip the road and pull you forwards whenever you accelerate, the rear wheels are just dragged.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
AndBurG said:
I'd get the sliders on the front brake regreased and just given a good clean and the pistons wound back in, sounds like the disks are scrubbing on the pads slightly causing friction which is heating up the wheel.

is one wheel hotter than the other at the front?

andy
They say wheels, not the discs? I can see how scrubbing pads or hard braking would cause hot discs, but the 'wheels', no.
Anyway im not sure what anyone would define as "too hot", its purely subjective unless you have felt a lot of car discs and assessed how hot you think they are. They are going to get **** hot, they are transferring a mountain of kinetic energy into heat.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Is it the wheel or the tyre that is hot? And how hot is it? warm, or too hot to comfortably touch? Tyres get warm in use, especially at high speed use. Typically they'll be nice and warm but not too hot to touch. The rims usually only get warm from heat generated by the brakes. If you live at the bottom of a hill then there probably isn't anything wrong.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
As above, tyres are always warm on my car, after a drive... Think its noramal, caused by the air in the tyres being compressed...

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never checked the tyres, but the rims (well, hubcaps and the metal behind it) seem pretty warm, you can feel it radiate from a few inches, and whilst not being too hot to touch, it'd certainly be uncomfortable after a few seconds

admittedly I live just off a straight empty country road, so generally brake pretty hard before turning in. I'll coast in tommorrow and see what happens :)

oh, both front wheels seem to be a similar temperature, though I've thought the right wheels been hotter before, but I've just put that down to paranoia!

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it probably is, it just struck me as odd as its something I've never noticed before, despite driving almost daily for one and a half years. Mind you I've never made a habbit of touching the wheels ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts