MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........i tend to leave my heater switch on hot ........even in the summer to assist heat displacement but im wondering whether its worth it

ive never felt comfortable turning the switch to cold for long periods of time but with summer hopefully on its way im curious about you f/tf ers relationships with your heater switches so do tell............

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I don't think it's worth it. Leaving the switch on hot helps a bit to cool down the coolant but not that much imho.

·
Registered
mg_tf
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.......thanks perry / herbie
its put my mind at rest i wasnt sure how well the engine dealt with heat i feel better about using the heat switch now

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
drac jnr said:
.......thanks perry / herbie
its put my mind at rest i wasnt sure how well the engine dealt with heat i feel better about using the heat switch now
Don't worry pal!!!

If the coolant stays cool reving close to 7,000 rpm at our temperatures
down here then there is no problem for you!!!

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Yep, more important is to warm up the engine properly (no revs above 3.000 until oil temperature has reached 90°) and to cool down after a "hot" run. Leave the engine running then for a few minutes before you turn it off :)

·
Registered
mg_tf
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
........i forgot about how hot ur weather was i now no i was worrying about nothing......7000 rpm!
you my friend are a brave boy i must have some of this high rev fun sometime ive been driving like a granpa the last year...lol

i always do that herb .its v.good advice

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I used to leave mine on hot too but with these temps it's pretty hard to. I still do in the mornings.

One benefit of having the heater on is that when it starts to blow cold you know your coolant is out/low and you can stop before car overheats and does any more damage to engine. I know this from first hand experience, but didn't know at the time that my HG was about to go so carried on driving until car cut out and wouldn't re-start....

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Relax! If the engines too hot, the fan'll come on! To be honest, unless you pootle about in slow moving traffic, the fan won't ever come on anyway. Bear in mind that engines aren't particularly bothered by rises in ambient temperatures, they'll regulate their temperature themselves.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I tried leaving mine on hot last summer in the hope that it might help engine cooling, but I couldn't live with the cockpit temps. Now I just use the heater as intended and at this time of year it is always blowing cold air.

Nigel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts