MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear with me on this long-winded description of a very simple problem !

Ok. In a conventional car heating system, when you turn the heater fan OFF, you will still get air circulating through any open vents while you're driving along. Right?

And since the temperature dial is mechanical and works independently of the fan, with the temp setting on hot, the air coming through the vents will still be HOT even after you've turned the fan OFF. Right?

But is the same true of digital climate control? I mean, I turn the air-con off, the display goes blank, but the ventillation is still blowing hot air at me! In order to turn the temperature down, I have to turn the air con back on, lower the temperature, and switch it back off again ! Is this normal or do I have a problem?

I mean if the temperature control is digital then OFF should mean OFF, shouldn't it?

Help !

G

·
I understand what you are talking about and I have the same thing on my climate too. My climate is often off and realise hot air was still coming out when off. You have to turn the temp down to 16 or 17C then turn it off.

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
hot! hot! hot! ? we know a song about that... ;)

On this topic, is there a way just to get ambient temperature air coming through the climate controlled vents, e.g. when it is turned off? I could imagine that, if the heater had been on, the air coming through would be hot for a bit...until it wasn't...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pat Pndng...and very concisely put. Unfortunately the hot air keeps coming..not just for a bit.

Seems Sky is experiencing the same phenomenon on his car so I guess I'll have to live with it. Wonder if all digital cc's operate the same way.

Yeah, those 80s party grooves were the best.. or maybe not. Just my feeble attempt to make a dull topic sound interesting !

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
Pars said:
Thanks Pat Pndng...and very concisely put. Unfortunately the hot air keeps coming..not just for a bit.

Seems Sky is experiencing the same phenomenon on his car so I guess I'll have to live with it. Wonder if all digital cc's operate the same way.

Yeah, those 80s party grooves were the best.. or maybe not. Just my feeble attempt to make a dull topic sound interesting !
I'll tell you Pars, that car will be on the scrapheap before I can work that climate control...it's nice and warm today so I've been driving with the window down to avoid having the aircon switched on when I park...

The topic name certainly made me look, anyway....the name would be perfect for an overheating Hillman Hunter as IIRC that is an "Arrow"... ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is there not a separate button that controls the AC? On my 172 that had climate I could turn off the AC and it would still control the inside temp but just use outside air.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is an "economy" setting, which means you can turn the air con off, and set the temperature on the digital readout, and the system will try and control the temperature inside the car without using the air con. Not used the feature much myself, so can't comment on how effective it is.

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
Fairground42 said:
There is an "economy" setting, which means you can turn the air con off, and set the temperature on the digital readout, and the system will try and control the temperature inside the car without using the air con. Not used the feature much myself, so can't comment on how effective it is.
yep, you're right there fairground, but as it is a BUTTON on the CLIMATE CONTROL I am reluctant to press it in case I get the time in Tokyo or the temperature shows in Fahrenheit and I can't change it back!

or something.

Meanwhile, am I the only one humming "oh ay oh ay, oh ay oh ay, oh ay oh ay, oh ay oh ay, stig the dump dump dump dump" given the thread title?

Ah. :getcoat:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts