MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi some help needed

I'm currently trying to fix a problem with my horn not working and came across this disconnected fitting - I can't see a reference to it so far - can someone enlighten me thanks

Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
mg_tf
389 Posts
On closer inspection I can see it's a late model TF, It's difficult to see how many connectors there are, it looks like 8. I can see the colours of about 5 of the wires but it's not clear which pins they go to.

If you can provide a couple more pictures from different angles it would make it easier

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On closer inspection I can see it's a late model TF, It's difficult to see how many connectors there are, it looks like 8. I can see the colours of about 5 of the wires but it's not clear which pins they go to.

If you can provide a couple more pictures from different angles it would make it easier
I'll take some more pictures tomorrow and post - thanks for asking

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think 98luke is right. I've just had a look at my TF and I think it might connect into a multiplug just behind the yellowy EPAS cylindrical bit on your pic. Put your hand behind there (you'll get into an interesting position in the footwell) and you might feel the other half of the connecting block...mine seemed to be held in place with a cable tie.
Is your steering a bit on the heavy side?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Hl, first things first. Have you checked the horn itself is OK by connecting directly across the battery? Is the fuse and connections ok? If all good I would be thinking possible failure of the rotary coupler. Aka the clock Spring. I can't remember if the circuit goes through the BCU module of not. Just a thought is the airbag light on?

·
Registered
MGTF 135
42 Posts
If the horn isn't working it could be the relay in the SCU, these are known to fail. If the fuse is ok and you've tested the horn as suggested by barkingdog, I would go in that direction. It's fairly easy to change the relay if you are confident with a soldering iron. If not contact Paul Brown at Technozen, he is the undoubted expert with these problems, and he can sell you the relays, and the special screw bit to remove the unit - it's a TORX-Plus TS25. His website is Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair . Or of course he can change the relay(s) for you if you send him the unit.

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
es tomorrow and post - thanks for asking
I think 98luke is right. I've just had a look at my TF and I think it might connect into a multiplug just behind the yellowy EPAS cylindrical bit on your pic. Put your hand behind there (you'll get into an interesting position in the footwell) and you might feel the other half of the connecting block...mine seemed to be held in place with a cable tie.
Is your steering a bit on the heavy side?
MM - I've not really noticed the steering to be heavy to be fair - it's been sorn for a while - whilst I've refurbished the front subrame - rot got to it... and whilst getting it back on the road and ready for summer use in the cul-de-sac for a wee test run and it seemed ok - that when I noticed the horn wasn't working - I'll see if I can find the other connecting block later today - thanks for info

·
Registered
875 Posts
Firstly check what the piece of black insulation tape is doing. Is it hiding a loose wire end or a burn'? Secondly, I have not got out my electrical diagrams but from memory (and I may be totally wrong) there is a similar connector (although the one in the photo may be too large) that goes into the steering wheel cowling and connects various items on the steering wheel: ie Horn. If disconnected, the horn will not work. If disconnected, you need to find out why the previous owner disconnected it. The plastic cowling can easily be taken off to gain access to the hidden connector.

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hl, first things first. Have you checked the horn itself is OK by connecting directly across the battery? Is the fuse and connections ok? If all good I would be thinking possible failure of the rotary coupler. Aka the clock Spring. I can't remember if the circuit goes through the BCU module of not. Just a thought is the airbag light on?
I've got a new horn - I should have really tested the old one first - doh - I cannibalised the old horn to use the proprietary connector to use on the new horn which has spade connectors

So the new horn works just fine with a feed from the battery

the SRS airbag light disappears after the initial ignition check so seems OK
there is continuity in the rotary coupler when tested

I set the alarm on the car and leave it for a while - to check if the alarm goes off - the indicator / hazard
lights all come on and I can stop the 'alarm - silent btw) by the key fob on m.. - but no horn sounds.

The horn buttons seems to have continuity when pressed and there is continuity in the rotary coupler when tested.

The fuse seems to be F7 in the front section of the car - which apparently control the Alarm ECU lights as well - which are fine when tested - it seems to know the boot is opened etc.. - hazard lights etc..
I'm stuck

any thoughts anyone ?

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Firstly check what the piece of black insulation tape is doing. Is it hiding a loose wire end or a burn'? Secondly, I have not got out my electrical diagrams but from memory (and I may be totally wrong) there is a similar connector (although the one in the photo may be too large) that goes into the steering wheel cowling and connects various items on the steering wheel: ie Horn. If disconnected, the horn will not work. If disconnected, you need to find out why the previous owner disconnected it. The plastic cowling can easily be taken off to gain access to the hidden connector.
I've taken off the cowling on the steering wheel to check this - there was a guide (Horn Failure) that showed inserting a paper clip etc.. - that also didn't sound the horn for me - so I think that;s a different size connector - but I'll check on the tape side of things later - thanks

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would focus on finding out where the connector goes first. It must be easy to find with some scrambling around!
yep - that's the first thing i'm gonna do - i spent about 20 minutes upside side b4 I had all this info - and I just couldn't seem to find any connector within a suitable distance that could be the other side of the connector - but will try again later today and report on that

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the horn isn't working it could be the relay in the SCU, these are known to fail. If the fuse is ok and you've tested the horn as suggested by barkingdog, I would go in that direction. It's fairly easy to change the relay if you are confident with a soldering iron. If not contact Paul Brown at Technozen, he is the undoubted expert with these problems, and he can sell you the relays, and the special screw bit to remove the unit - it's a TORX-Plus TS25. His website is Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair . Or of course he can change the relay(s) for you if you send him the unit.
It seems like the relay is clicking when I set the alarm and deliberately set it off - and to clarify the horn is not sounding and the hazard lights are flashing - I assume the sound is the relay - certainly coming from the correct location - does that mean the relay is @ fault - it seems like that relay control the Horn and the Fog Lights ( and the Fog Lights seem fine) _ Do i have the correct information about that relay ?

·
Registered
mg_tf
389 Posts
The horn and fog lights share a common relay package but there are 2 separate relays within the package, so the fact that one’s working is no indication the other is. If you can hear the relay operating when you press the horn it’s an indication (but only an indication) the relay is working. In my experience of these relays the windings go open circuit, in which case the relay doesn’t operate. Depending on why your old horn failed, if the contacts failed closed it would place a much larger load on the relay than normal, this could cause the contacts to fail.

·
Registered
mg_tf
389 Posts
I think your mystery plug is C0066 and goes to the mirror adjustment switch, all the colours look correct for that plug. Does your car have remotely adjustable mirrors? Some cars had manually adjusted mirrors with small handles adjacent to the mirrors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts