MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced trouble lowering their hood? Occasionally the mechanism seems to jam when the roofs about a third of the way down.It seems that the 2 small lugs with slotted holes sometimes seize on the pins.Is there any special lubricant ? I've tried WD40 but the problem re-occurs.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
The MGF hood has three cross bars...

Grab the middle one and pull it towards the front one whilst lowering.

Problem solved ;)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Has anyone experienced trouble lowering their hood? Occasionally the mechanism seems to jam when the roofs about a third of the way down.It seems that the 2 small lugs with slotted holes sometimes seize on the pins.Is there any special lubricant ? I've tried WD40 but the problem re-occurs.
Hood Lock!!..

The first cross bar (nearest the screen) sticks on folding, just pull it back slightly as you fold the hood and it should then fold as normal!!...

Dont use WD!!.... use a spray type grease or 3-1 oil on the joints!!

·
Registered
mg_tf
198 Posts
...hi mate
when you unclip the hood and pull it back it should naturally get fixed,.you then have to lift the 'fold' just behind the front part of the hood to finish the job

it wont go back in one smooth motion(well mine doesnt)

good luck

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Has anyone experienced trouble lowering their hood?
I think that is almost everyone, use the search feature of this site and as if by magic a solution will present itself :doh: . Either take James C advice or get the add on "booster straps" to ensure the mechanism folds correctly.

it wont go back in one smooth motion(well mine doesnt)
But it could! Just whack on those elastic straps and the hood is good!

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
I put the straps on after I got fed up having to do that every time. I just throw the hood back from inside now :) (I have a glass screen, don't try that with a plastic one)

·
Registered
mgf
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "lock" occurs before the coss-bars clash and definately seems to be down to the lugs which are about 6 inches up from the anchor points on the door posts

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,460 Posts
Xpart Auto Service Centre’s may still stock them or you could try Brown & Gammons, MGF Centre etc.

The straps were originally designed for a 02MY TF recall after holes in the hood fabric were found as they help stop the fabric being pinched. They have a side effect of also eliminating the hood lockup problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't keep letting the cross member clash, I didn't take much notice till I cut a hole in the fabric, expensive lesson!

Colin

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
One of the reasons that MG supplied a hood cover (aka tonneau) was to hold the hood and frame down and stop hood bounce and keep the fabric out of the hinges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts