MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hood is starting to wear at two distinct point. These are not pinching problems, but rubbing. One joint has very rough edges and when the hood is down, the material is in contact with the rough edges. movement of teh car obviously creates movement and gradually these have worn (almost ) through the hood.

Before it goes completely, Iwould like to strenghten the area and put a patch on which whill take the wear. This will be on the inside so not visible. I wont need much, probably each strip would be 25-40mm wide by 75-100mm long (or 1-1.5in by 3-4in in real money)

So any ideas where can get some canvas or mohair strips and what should I glue with?

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
My hood is starting to wear at two distinct point. These are not pinching problems, but rubbing. One joint has very rough edges and when the hood is down, the material is in contact with the rough edges. movement of teh car obviously creates movement and gradually these have worn (almost ) through the hood.

Before it goes completely, Iwould like to strenghten the area and put a patch on which whill take the wear. This will be on the inside so not visible. I wont need much, probably each strip would be 25-40mm wide by 75-100mm long (or 1-1.5in by 3-4in in real money)

So any ideas where can get some canvas or mohair strips and what should I glue with?

I just picked up a piece of hood material for Andy from Gill & Darren 07854 547722......

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
are your wear marks in same place as mine on side panels?.....when ive done mine i'll show you what i did to rectify it...wont be to everyones taste though...i do have some hood cloth though david...

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
What about old seat belts tough dont look out of place and will be free. I was going to use some to protect the wear on mine when i get around to it.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
what about some leather? very tough, no chance of frayed edges so can cut to any shape. comes in lots of colours.

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some good ideas.

If I get home from work early enough tomorrow I'll take some pics to show where the wear is. Going on hols at weekend so can't do it then.

Like the idea of the leather, but not sure it's flexible enough. Hood material I know is and since the original hood has lasted 6 years, seems like a good option.

Any idea what to glue it with to cope with movement, heat and humidity

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Some good ideas.

If I get home from work early enough tomorrow I'll take some pics to show where the wear is. Going on hols at weekend so can't do it then.

Like the idea of the leather, but not sure it's flexible enough. Hood material I know is and since the original hood has lasted 6 years, seems like a good option.

Any idea what to glue it with to cope with movement, heat and humidity
my hood was patched internally with hood material and stuck with impact adhesive (evostick).

leather would be good but you would need an upholstery grade to get the flexibility needed. again evostick will do the job.

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As my daughter decided to park her car in a tree yesterday (amazing the damage a relatively slow speed clip can do) I had to take her to work this mornign and so had a bit more time so took a couple of photos of the hood wear.

The first shows the outside of the car and circles where the wear is on the hood. It's the same on both sides and the same cause.

The second shows a close up of the damage (least bad side)

The third shows the hinge part that is causing the damage. Feeling along the top edge it is very rough. I am tempted to take a file to it to smooth it off to reduce the interim damage

My intention was to patch on the inside where this hinge rubs to act as a barrier and protection to the hood

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I bought some self adhesive Gore-Tex to patch the inside of ours where it had worn a small hole in, needs replacing every year or so though...

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
Are they hood manufacturers then, and were they happy to sell and presumably post a fairly small piece hood material?

No David they are breakers so if there is anything else you need they are ace..... I think Gill had cut the piece out of an old hood for Andy, this was only last weekend....

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
I have some material that I can send out, if people would cover the cost of postage?

**Edit** This is material Sonya kindly sent me.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
I buy some decent velcro and just stick the fluccy side over the hole, cut to size. Seems to stay on for a long time, and prevents further wear. Can do the same using small pieces over the sharb bits of the frame

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,447 Posts
My hood has had the same damage as David’s, I used some thick vinyl patches and flexible superglue as patches on the inside of the hood about 3 months ago and so far so good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts