MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i wonder if anybody can help?
I have an MG TF 2005, it was working fine, and because i have not used it much recently, like most i assume. The battery died. It was an old batter, so i treated my litter car to a brand new one.
Sine I got the new batter, it will start and cut out after a few seconds. Now I have been on the forum and done every thing the wise and wonderful people on the forum have suggested. I have changed batters on the key fobs, I have done the 10 + 10 + 8 thing, I have done the magic number with the key in the drivers door.I danced naked in the full moon at midnight around the car, but i am still not convinced this was real advice. I have called numerous bods and so called experts and anybody i have called won't or cant help.

So before the family have this gibbering wreck carted off, me not the car. Could anybody suggest anything.
Also, i don;t know if its related, but the electric windows or passenger door wont open ether

PS, yes i have checked all the fuses under the bonnet and the steering column and the all appear fine.

Sorry about the spelling and grammar in the e-mail, it difficult to type when sobbing and rocking

Lol C 馃槵

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Your car have Pektron alarm system. In case that car battery is left to die slowly loosing its power until it is empty, alarm system has habbit to "forget" all remote fobs assiciated with it and thus your engine cuts out after a second or two.
Best what you can do is to ask Paul @ Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair to see what he can advise. Most probably you will need to remove alarm box from the car and send it to him.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Your car have Pektron alarm system. In case that car battery is left to die slowly loosing its power until it is empty, alarm system has habbit to "forget" all remote fobs assiciated with it and thus your engine cuts out after a second or two.
Best what you can do is to ask Paul @ Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair to see what he can advise. Most probably you will need to remove alarm box from the car and send it to him.
Thank you I will do that in the Moring.
At least now I can chat to somebody who know what they are doing.

regards,
Lol c

Registered
'10 TF135
Hi Lol C. My first thought is dodgy relay(s) in the security control unit box that's in the area behind the temp controls.

Elec windows + door locks are controlled from here and, I gather, if your immobiliser isn't recognised in this unit your ecu shuts down the injectors.

It/they may have failed as a matter of coincidence but these units were notoriously fragile in the Pektron round fob TFs; yours are 16-years-old and imo are well past due for upgrade.

Google 'Technozen' for a really comprehensive explanation. He's replaced all 5 of my relays in prev '05 and current '10 TF. He's really good v-f-m and a source of brilliant advice. You'll have to remove and send him your scu but his turn-around time is amazing.

I'm sure he can help with your sobbing + rocking...

The scu is the square box slightly left of centre in the attached pic _DSF3254.JPG

Registered
'10 TF135
ps ...and I totally endorse Roverlike's comment about flat battery causing memory loss...in any case Technozen will be your pal, I reckon.

Registered
MG TF 135
Hi, Agree with all the above, but sometimes worth a try is to disconnect the main battery and reconnect. May take a few goes I have heard. Like rebooting a computer. Anyway its free to try even if it is an internet myth....

Cheers

Registered
mg_tf
I agree with what markvrs said - though maybe he heard it from me in the first place! ;0)
When my 2004 135 (Pektron fob) was off road on several occasions the battery went really flat. I'd recharge it but the ECU would often get a bad case of amnesia and all kinds of problems with the immobiliser and with locking/unlocking with the key fob would follow. I tried resyncing the key fobs, locking and unlocking the doors via the key, entering the security code via the lock etc and nothing worked - except disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
As markvrs says though it 'may take a few goes' - just to put that in context I think on the worst occasion it took about 30 disconnect/reconnect attempts with the battery terminal to get the ECU to 'boot up' properly. Usually it didn't take that many attempts.
There was some sort of faint (I was under the bonnet of course so couldn't hear properly) audible clue when a battery reconnect finally woke up the ECU - I could hear some sign of life from the dash, I can't remember what, maybe a beep or hum something similar. However you can always try starting it after reconnecting the battery each time just to be sure.
I used to leave about 15 secs between one battery disconnect/connect attempt and the next one (just an arbitrary time delay I thought might be suitable).

Registered
mg_tf
Mark and Nocturne are right: with the Pektron unit (2005 car, Oval fob) the car sometimes acts this way. After recharging or replacing a flat battery, the car fires but cuts out after about 2-3 seconds.
You simply have to disconnect earth, reconnect and try again. Worst for me was about 12-15 attempts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts