MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Prob an easy one for a Monday morning! Last night driving on motorway I hit something on the road. Think it was like a wooden pallet or crate or something. Obv hit at 70+ mph.. Now when I brake I get a lot of juddering in the steering wheel. Whats the prob? I'm guessing the wheel alignment will be shot! Could it be anything more serious as well?

Hopefully this will be easily resolved! Just a pain in the arse! Middle lane of the M6 at night and theres a friggin wooden thing lying! grr

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
jack the car up on that side and put one hand ontop of the wheel and one on the bottom and feel for play as in rock the wheel also the other way side to side

also check for cracks if you have alloys or warping check the track rod end everything in that area mate you would need to check as hitting somthing at 70mph will do quite abit of damage to your ride as you have just noticed

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Middle lane of the M6 at night and theres a friggin wooden thing lying! grr
I've seen some crazy unsafe loads going down the motorway and things flying off the back off lorries. Some people really are twonks when it comes ensuring their loads are safe.

Does the car drive in a straight line? I guess the best thing to do is get it into a garage up on the ramps and get the alignment checked.

·
Registered
rover_25
169 Posts
remembers years ago on the m5, some twonk lost a drum of barbed wire, and it unwound across all three lanes, cars were going off everywhere, of course me saw it to late and went right over the drum....BANG... smashed me floor in a bit, but no punctures...unlike the dozens of cars pulling into the hard shoulder in my rear mirror

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I've seen some crazy unsafe loads going down the motorway and things flying off the back off lorries. Some people really are twonks when it comes ensuring their loads are safe.
My parents experienced a very scarey moment on the M20 a couple of years ago. A lump of concrete came flying off the back of a lorry. If my dad hadn't swerved it would have gone through the windscreen and straight into my mothers face. Thankfully it just clipped the passenger wing, and cracked against the A pillar. Was abit of a mess. About half a dozen other cars were affected too and they all pulled off at the next juntion which was just coming up.

Must have been abot of a shock for the OP hitting something so sudnly like that.
Did you drive over it, or was it pushed to one side as you hit it?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
i had similar experience was in a van with my dad doing about 70 down the M1 and a bloody bird flew out straight in front of the van no way to stop and when it hit there was a cloud of feathers thank god it was a straight piece of motorway as we couldn't see a thing. pulled over and it had smashed the grille, the radiator and made a mess of the inside of the bonnet and loads of pipes. Oh and bent the bonnet. I felt sorry for the garage it went to as they said there was bits everywhere and the air box was full of feathers. I have never been so scared in my entire life.

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
i was going down the motorway and there was a slight bend but nothing major and it was pich black (no light on motorway were working...)

as im half way round this bend on the floor was a HUGE HUUUUGE dog... already been hit by something (must have been a truck as this thing was so big it would have destroyed my car...)
luckily i managed to move over slightly and it went right under my car but damn it was close... cliped it with my inner wheel.

all i could think about was what would have happend if i hit that thing or what if it didnt go rite inder my car, scared the crap out of me haha

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
as im half way round this bend on the floor was a HUGE HUUUUGE dog... already been hit by something (must have been a truck as this thing was so big it would have destroyed my car...)
Don't get me onto animals, otherwise I'll have to tell the story of when I was on holiday in the USA and came across a herd of deer running across the road in the middle of the night.....but don't want to hijack the thread

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
lol

I was driving along the M62, and I saw a women diving a small metro, with a little trailer fastened to the back of it. Tied with string between the boot and the trailer...which is bad enough lol. In the trailer she had a dust bin, an average empty black dust bin, but it wasn't fastened down at all. Ofcourse it was stood up because the trailer was so small...

Anyway, about 2 seconds later there's a nice gust of wind. lol. Flew straight out the trailer into a big wagon behind, nice big cracks all over his windscreen.

Like a fool, this women slammed her brakes on and stopped, and nearly killed about 92098324r390 people. Silly ****!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I was driving along the M62, and I saw a women diving a small metro, with a little trailer fastened to the back of it. Tied with string between the boot and the trailer...which is bad enough lol. In the trailer she had a dust bin, an average empty black dust bin, but it wasn't fastened down at all. Ofcourse it was stood up because the trailer was so small...

Anyway, about 2 seconds later there's a nice gust of wind. lol. Flew straight out the trailer into a big wagon behind, nice big cracks all over his windscreen.

Like a fool, this women slammed her brakes on and stopped, and nearly killed about 92098324r390 people. Silly ****!
some people stupidity knows no bounds..... people with mental deficiencies like that shouldn't be allowed to have a license.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Don't get me onto animals, otherwise I'll have to tell the story of when I was on holiday in the USA and came across a herd of deer running across the road in the middle of the night.....but don't want to hijack the thread
do go on... no dont.... oo tell..... no i dont want to know..... its one of those things, like when something has gone off and someone smells and heaves and says smell that. And you know you shouldn't but curiosty gets the better of you lol

·
Registered
mg_zr
62 Posts
had similar problem in my old 620 got cut up by transit van annd clipped edge of traffic cone.when igot home i noticed it had bent wheel rim and put a bulge in tyre sidewall.to make it worse it was a brand new tyre and they had stopped selling the 17 inch tsw apexs that i had on it .took months to find another

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
i was going down the motorway and there was a slight bend but nothing major and it was pich black (no light on motorway were working...)

luckily i managed to move over slightly and it went right under my car but damn it was close... cliped it with my inner wheel.

all i could think about was what would have happend if i hit that thing or what if it didnt go rite inder my car, scared the crap out of me haha
I hope you at least pulled over and phoned the police, so someone else didn't end up having an accident?

Where's the pic of the BMW with a dear jammed in it's engine bay, now that was messy!

Ah here it is:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/5052838-post1.html

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I hope you at least pulled over and phoned the police, so someone else didn't end up having an accident?

Where's the pic of the BMW with a dear jammed in it's engine bay, now that was messy!

Ah here it is:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/5052838-post1.html
:sick:

My incident wasn't quite that bad......but was told I was lucky it didn't go though the windscreen otherwise I wouldn't have survived

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go for it mate! This threads already brought a good few laughs up! BM + deer is scary!

Drove the car again today and the juddering is gone! Guna take wheel off tomorrow when I have time and give everything the once over. But steering is straight, brakes fine and suspension seems good. Think I mighta got pretty lucky!

The alloys are going on when I finally get around to getting the nuts! So guess I should get a shift on getting them now.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts

lol I wont go into when the fitter stripped a landy front after a deer incident and found a foetus deer in by the rad :bigeyes: stunk too.

I find it hard to believe,if i'm right of course.There is no mention from OP of "I hit something on the motorway,I stopped and had a look at my car"

"No I continued to drive it with an obvious problem,finding the time to post about it between drives,then decided to have a look tomorrow :err:

luckily I havent had a serious accident yet or injured myself or others,hopefully my driving has fixed it or the damaged bit fell off,who knows."

I hope i'm wrong,(really I do.)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
sdjnf

HOLY......

That dear and BMW is ****** up! How fast was it travelling? If that had hit a person it would of done just as much if not more damage! Imagine that :S

My ex boss's friend bought a new transit van on finance, and with in the first week of having it he managed to crash it into a cow at 50 mph lol. Wrote the van off. I saw some pictures, made me laugh. Apparently the cow was fine though? :S

1 - 20 of 24 Posts