MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My lovely car has once again been damaged :(

This time it's a nasty one.

Basically I'm wondering how stuffed I am, and whether you think this will be repairable or not, and what my options are.

I'm totally devastated and I feel like an idiot and I hate to drive my car as it looks ugly now - what are your thoughts?

:(

·
Registered
645 Posts
My initial thought is, Muppet!

I think you should claim on insurance looks too much to take the hit rear bumper is a gonner rear panel could be saved i recon.

Feel for you. Pz

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P.s. no calling me stupid. I feel low enough as it is. nearly hurled myself out of the multistorey i was in at the time.

Incidentally my insurance is only just recovering from the last accident I was in so I think that a claim would really cost too much.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
You don't have much luck, do you mate?

Best way is trying to get a few quotes, making it clear that you won't be going through the insurance company, that usually makes it a bit cheaper.

Otherwise, I'd suggest going on the game :lol:

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Doesn't look all that bad to me, surely any body shop worth their salt could repair that rear bumper?? A heat gun would soften it up enough to put it back into shape.

Rear panel should be able to be pulled out a good deal as well, just make sure they dont just fill it up with filler LMAO.

The worst bit is probably gonna be the painting, expect it will be the whole bumper and rear 1/4.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Having recently replaced my rear bumper I can tell you that the bumper cost £200 from Rimmer Brothers, Spray job was £115 on top. Fitted it myself. When you start adding in rear pannel work, fitting and futher spray work i'm guessing it will get pricey.

Sorry mate

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I think the bumper should be ok - there aren't any splits in it, and its out of shape, because of the bracket moving.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hmm... that does look nasty.:(

How about getting a scratch/dent repair company to come out and have a look? They usually come out for nothing, and give you a quote. It might be able to be knoocked out and resprayed.:dunno:

Hope you get it sorted.:)

Rich.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Gutted for you mate - body shop will sort that a treat though!

Just out of my own curiosity .. does the rear quarter come off I fear rust is about to come on my old 400, can you buy replacements???

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
OUCH! I'm sure it looks worse than it actually is?

I'm pretty sure a good bodyshop could save the rear bumper. I had a spoiler re-shaped that was off another car so it would fit my mondeo. Looked like it left the factory wearing it. Anything is possible. Just make sure you get lots of quotes as some will be sky high. May be worth looking on ebay for a used rear bumper from a mk2 45 or ZS and then find someone cheap (ish) to paint it your colour? Might work out cheaper than the labour of repairing your bumper.

The panel can probably be knocked out, filled and painted etc. I've seen far worse looking cars come out of bodyshops looking like brand new showroom cars!

Either way, whatever you chose to do, keep us all posted on the progress!

All the best,
Markus

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Gutted for you mate - body shop will sort that a treat though!

Just out of my own curiosity .. does the rear quarter come off I fear rust is about to come on my old 400, can you buy replacements???
The rear quarter panels should be available but the old one will need cutting off to weld the new one in, then filled etc, smoothed and painted. Had it done on an old fiesta (LORD KNOWS WHY!) and it cost about 350 each side and he was a back street garage who was known locally for being cheap. He did a good job though.

If its rust around the wheel arch then these can also be cut off and replaced (AFAIK).

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
any damage inside? whip the boot carpet out and have a look.

a good body shop ill kick that out, fill it and spray it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a peek inside. Looks like it's just a big bulge. I tried pushing it out myself before realising I'll probably just make it worse. Gonna see if I can get to a couple of bodyshops tomorrow and get some quotes.

Thanks for the positive comments guys - feeling a little less worried now.

In the meantime, is there anything i can coat the bare metal with to delay rusting?
Vaseline?

One thing I've noticed with the photos is it looks like there is a fairly harsh edge to the scraping - the dent itself is pretty rounded. It's just that the scratches end so abruptly that it looks as if there is a big crease in the panel. There isn't really. It's still quite rounded. Only the top is partly creased.

·
Registered
776 Posts
thats repairable and a bodyshop wont write it off, just cost a few hundred quid to put right......, next time though Daz you should try looking where your going:stir:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
At first glance it looks bad, but not so. It can be pulled out and made good. Get quotes and see where it takes you. Chin up!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm seeing if I can get off work early to see if I can have a look around for some prices. Fingers crossed the guy who did my spoiler is still in action, as he was cheap and good.
Every time I see the car I feel sick :(

1 - 20 of 81 Posts