MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is currently a petition running on line to lower the historic vehicle age to 30 years to align us with Europe, it currently has 14K signatures which I think is pathetic, it needs at least 100K to be considered for debate in the House.
Just type in Historic Vehicle Petition and follow the link to the UK Gov site to vote, do it and encourage all your friends, relatives etc to do the same. The whole classic car industry will come under increasing threat due to the green lobby until the government understand just how many toes (and businesses) they are treading on.

Peter
PS if you belong to any other car related sites please post on them

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,748 Posts
Yeah, please sign it. For a heads up, I signed this petition prompted by another forum, and got the following back by email…

[Dear gnu ]

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Reduce the Tax exemption age for classic cars to 30 years.”.
Government responded:
There are no current plans to reduce the tax exemption age for classic cars from 40 to 30 years. The Government has set 40 years as being a fair cut-off date to distinguish classic cars from old cars.
The Government considers that classic vehicles are an important part of the country’s historical and cultural heritage. According to research by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs, in their publication The 2020 National Historic Vehicle Survey, the historic car industry employed around 34,000 people in the UK.
Recognising the important role played by historic vehicles, the Government announced at Budget 2013 that it would be extending the cut-off date from which classic vehicles are exempt from paying Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) to 1 January 2014. At Budget 2014, the Government then announced that it would introduce a rolling 40-year VED exemption, which means that currently vehicles constructed before 1 January 1981 are exempt from paying VED.
The Government set 40 years as being a fair cut-off date that distinguishes classic cars from old cars. There are no current plans to reduce the tax exemption age for classic cars from 40 years to 30 years, but as with all taxes, VED is kept under review.
HM Treasury
Click this link to view the response online:
Petition: Reduce the Tax exemption age for classic cars to 30 years.
The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.
The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: How petitions work
Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Prior to 1997 tax exemption was 25 year rolling, Labour changed it when they took power, the conservatives manifestos after this date pledged to reintroduce it if they took power but then changed their mind...my brother was gutted at the time as the rule changed a year before his Mercedes 115 would have been tax free.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
My 1979 Cavalier Coupe is tax and MOT exempt - happy days!

Reactions: barkingdog

·
Registered
mg_tf
431 Posts
I too have classic cars which I benefit from road tax and MOT concessions. However, I don’t lose sight of the possibility that once they have as many ‘Historic’ vehicles under one umbrella, it will then be easy to restrict their use - in a similar vein to say trade plates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts