rover_45
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have done the following mods to the car now :-

MAFAM
decat pipe
Increased turbo boost
Fitted BMC air filter

The car responds much better now, pulling strongly from 1500rpm as opposed to the 2000rpm before the mods, but I have noticed a hissing type noise when accelerating past 2500rpm. It is more noticeable with a heavier throttle, and it suggests to me it is turbo related. I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
my guess is the upped boost have caused any weaknesses in the intercooler pipes to show themselves in the form of a split.

get somebody to rev the engine while you check the hoses, splits should open up and you should get a nice amount of air movement too!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Thanks Homer, that was quick! :) I will check that.
no problem mate, i think the hoses are about £30 a piece though!

mind you saying what i said, you would be getting some more smoke than usual and a possible power loss aswell if it was those... but we'll see!

·
Registered
rover_45
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you were spot on Homer, I found a split in the pipe from the turbo to the airbox. I don't think it has gone through all the way but it is obviously enough for it to allow air to pass out under pressure. Any ideas where these hoses are available from?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Looks like you were spot on Homer, I found a split in the pipe from the turbo to the airbox. I don't think it has gone through all the way but it is obviously enough for it to allow air to pass out under pressure. Any ideas where these hoses are available from?
There's a place not far from you, The Rover Centre in St Albs. Just down the A414 from Welwyn.
That's where I got mine when my old 400 intercooler pipe went, wasn't cheap though! Before you get the pipe, maybe wrap some Strong Elephant/duck tape around the split just to check if that makes a difference?

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts