MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We covered some of the highest mileages done with the KV6, so next question - I wonder whats the highest mileage done in a KV6 WITHOUT a cam belt change ?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
genpk said:
We covered some of the highest mileages done with the KV6, so next question - I wonder whats the highest mileage done in a KV6 WITHOUT a cam belt change ?
Not worth taking the risk on timing belts,just a 'slip' or snap,the whole engine will be ruin.....

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
In fact,i changed my timing belts last year April[5 years old then],mileage is just 24,000 KM,my engineer ask me to change it......

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
genpk said:
Not sure what that would prove, maybe that a particular belt has stood the test of time better than others, but as they could seriously damage the engine, anyone who hasnt changed when it should be, should be slapped, not celebrated.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
All this would do is to prove who the most reckless and careless is amongest us and who couldn't give a stuff and their MG Rover!

It is one of those jobs on any car that needs to be done as piece of mind, especially if you have just bought a car that is close to needing a change and hasn't been carried out, or you somehow don't trust the previous owner!

On my previous car, a V6 Calibra, I had to replace the engine, before it went in I changed the complete tensioner assembly, water pump and belts as a matter of course, there's no point in taking short cuts.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thought was not to avoid the inevitable belt change but out of curiosity as to gauge how long the belts can actually last. Maybe a better question would have been who has had them snap before the said required service time ?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
genpk said:
My thought was not to avoid the inevitable belt change but out of curiosity as to gauge how long the belts can actually last. Maybe a better question would have been who has had them snap before the said required service time ?
No one will be taking this risk,except he is prepared to have an engine changed if the belt snap...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts