MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with, after a fiasco a couple of weeks ago when I decided to try some Radseal before researching it - thankfully after a flush and my trip to Blackpool (honeymoon) - no problems, no overheating and the car is still running perfectly. Even did 400 miles on one tank of petrol (I didn't think motorway driving would be that efficient, obviously I was wrong). Thanks for everyone that helped me put it to rights though :D

Anyway, the question. I want to fit a high level brake light (standard LED type affair) - I may go for a later 400 model just so it fits without any hassle, or I might make my own up. I don't have one currently, I think this only started to appear on the 98 models onwards.
How would be the easiest way to wire this in? Would I need to run cabling back to the engine bay/brake pedal switch, or would I be best running cables to one/both of the existing brakelights? And either way, any clue how this would be done? I'm *guessing* just a cable from the "live" from an existing light and an earth - I don't want to work on a guess though as I don't want to start popping the electrics in my car.

At some point I should upload some pictures of my front fog wiring in the Comedy Corner section which could provide some laughs ;)

Also gonna look at wiring in an external thermometer at some point. I might just run it off battery (from the dash-mounted bit) for sake of ease, but if I wanted to make this more permanent - could I nick power cabling and what not from the clock backlight without problem?

Many thanks

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Kryt said:
To start with, after a fiasco a couple of weeks ago when I decided to try some Radseal before researching it - thankfully after a flush and my trip to Blackpool (honeymoon) - no problems, no overheating and the car is still running perfectly. Even did 400 miles on one tank of petrol (I didn't think motorway driving would be that efficient, obviously I was wrong). Thanks for everyone that helped me put it to rights though :D

Anyway, the question. I want to fit a high level brake light (standard LED type affair) - I may go for a later 400 model just so it fits without any hassle, or I might make my own up. I don't have one currently, I think this only started to appear on the 98 models onwards.
How would be the easiest way to wire this in? Would I need to run cabling back to the engine bay/brake pedal switch, or would I be best running cables to one/both of the existing brakelights? And either way, any clue how this would be done? I'm *guessing* just a cable from the "live" from an existing light and an earth - I don't want to work on a guess though as I don't want to start popping the electrics in my car.

At some point I should upload some pictures of my front fog wiring in the Comedy Corner section which could provide some laughs ;)

Also gonna look at wiring in an external thermometer at some point. I might just run it off battery (from the dash-mounted bit) for sake of ease, but if I wanted to make this more permanent - could I nick power cabling and what not from the clock backlight without problem?

Many thanks
Pop down the scrappers and find 400 down there, then see how it is fitted and then purchase it.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
cityrover
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would, but the trouble with that is, I would have to virtually strip the scrap car interior down to see any of that - I'd only want to be doing that once on mine :)

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Kryt said:
I would, but the trouble with that is, I would have to virtually strip the scrap car interior down to see any of that - I'd only want to be doing that once on mine :)
Do you have a haynes manual? it would tell you in there i think/

Cheers
Skelo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts