MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at ourchasing a HID conversion Kit from ebay - (dodgy I know) its for a MkI zs - first thing illl check is , these are H7 bulbs are they not ?

Second point is what colour temp is best ?

I have choice of
or
12000k colour temps , I was thinking of either the 4300K or 6000K but a mate said Id be better off with 6000 or 8000K , I dont know which to pick , any one in the know ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-HID-CON...067222378QQcategoryZ72235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the Kit im looking at - please tell me if im about to wipe my bottom on £150!!!

Thanks in advance

CARL

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
Right, all BMW's and Mercs etc all use 4300k bulbs, they have that bluey tint because they are behind Projector lenses. They are a natural daylight colour and produce the most light.

But seeing as yours wont be behind Projector lenses you may want to conside the 6k's I wouldn't go any higher than that because they will start to produce UV and look purple.

That kit looks fine. :)

Mine are 6k:

·
Registered
274 Posts
why spend all that money when you can get the zenon bulbs instead? i had them on my pug 406 8k and they were smart, people thought i had bought on of the kits like you are planning on, but TBH you can't tell the difference unless your headlights are scuffed/cracked.

·
Registered
mg_zs
55 Posts
I've got 6k kits on my Mk1 ZS and they look good and give out a lot of light. I haven't seen 4.3k bulbs so i can't compare, but they are much brighter than the originals. They also make things like number plates and road markings stand out better, as the light seems to reflect better due to it's colour. They aren't really blue at all, just a colder shade of white - they do look very cool though.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sid , 2 questions , were did you get the kit from ? and were abouts did you mount the ballasts ?

xenon bulbs arnt as good , they just burnt out quicker than standard and a I do miost of my driving at night I want something for max light output rather than for chavtatic colour

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the law has changed so that even aftermarket kits have to have auto-levellers and headlamp rinse - like on OE xenons.

Don't know how hot the old bill would be on it though, unless they pull you for something else, they'll more than likely be going the other way, and It would have to be a slow night for them to turn round and pull you up to check on this alone.

Dunno about MOTs though?

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive asked local garage man this morning (went to order some tyres) and he said as long as they arnt sillyblue and there alligned right theres no problem , also mentioned to make sure they are well insulated as he didnt fancy doing MOT and the whole car being live at 5kV lol

·
Registered
734 Posts
carlofbrigg said:
ive asked local garage man this morning (went to order some tyres) and he said as long as they arnt sillyblue and there alligned right theres no problem , also mentioned to make sure they are well insulated as he didnt fancy doing MOT and the whole car being live at 5kV lol
Is it wrong of me to have burst into laughter at that comment :D

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
what about the lenses? on my 200 i wouldn't think it would be wise on such a conversion since the lenses of the lights are not quite clear any more..but no matter how much i search i haven't found any aftermarket ones with clear lenses..as in the new models..so what can be done..? are there custom made?

·
Registered
mg_zs
55 Posts
Carl,

I got them off Ebay (where else!!), well over a year ago from a guy in the states. I got a good discount on sets for the car as well as my bike. I tried emailing him recently, but got no reply.

I mounted the ballasts inside the plastic rail that the bumper sits over. There is a square hole that was just the right size to hold two ballasts at each side and it's right below the headlight itself. I had to drill a couple of holes in the rail, to stop the ballasts falling out, as the hole faces downwards.

One thing you need to do is remove the metal cap that covers the bulb on the dip beam lens, if you look in the hole where the bulb sits you'll know what I mean. You need to break the metal leg as far into the lamp as possible and bend them over the edge, otherwise the whole bulb clamping assembly will fall out. This sounds a bit complex, but if you remove the headlight and have a look into the bulb apperture you'll understand what I mean. If you don't remove this cover,the bulb won't fit and if it does the bulb return wire will be shorted out.

I can try to get a few pics from my spare headlight, if it helps.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ordered the kit today , went for the 6000K bulbs and I will keep people posted on the results

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
We did some conversions at work to MG's and Rover and we use Pilot HID kits. Not cheap but DOT and E approved. The head lamp washer problem is easily overcome in a 45/ZS just buy the kit and put them in yourself as the markings are on the rear of the bumper. If you install one on an older Rover/MG or one where MG Rover did not fit headlamp washers to you need a conversion kit. Simple job really.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts