MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front brake disks will need replacing soon and I am toying with a big disk conversation. I was looking at the Hi-Spec brake kit, does anyone know if they will fit under 15” square spoke wheels? I know Mike’s will but they are 280mm and the Hi-Spec’s seem to be 285mm.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
if they are the same red calipers as the trophy and 160 then no they wont you will have to invest in some 160 alloys

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Chris

Try an archive search, either here or over on bbs. There has been a lot of talk about HiSpec in the past - mostly centred around the difficulty in getting any info from the company. May have changed over the past 12 - 24 months.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know Hi-Spec have a poor CS reputation but I have come across a reseller in Nottingham they may not be any better but at lest they are only 20 miles up the road.

I could put 305mm AP brakes on but then I definitely would not be able to get my wheels on!;) And no a new set of suitable 16” wheels isn’t an option due to lack of budget and choice (I only like the ultra lights).

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
why not just upgarde to mike saturs one's im sure there's not that much of a difference lol plus i still dont see why somone needs 4 pots on 160bhp car :S

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Chris,

I understand the idea of a local supplier (talk first, buy, talk afterwards etc).

I know that David Clelland is very happy with his MS kit (he's written about it on here) and there are also a couple of options available from MGOC Spares.

I'm sure you've already looked at these other options but thought them worth mentioning for others who may be considering a similar upgrade (like me).

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the MGOC version and it’s price that put me off at £374.95 inc VAT seemed excessive when Mike’s kit is around £230 inc for what looks like an identical kit.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm sure that you know Chris, but some others might not.

The problem with the AP callipers and 304mm discs is that they will only fit under a limited number of wheels without any modifications or spacers. Whereas fitting 280 mm discs and keeping your own callipers with the aid of a bracket will allow you to use just about any MG wheel.

About three years ago I wanted better brakes but couldn't afford a new set of wheels. At that time the car had never been on a track so I was looking at fast road use. After talking to Mike Satur, he recommended just fitting better pads. However, I went one stage further and got 280mm drilled discs for the front and 240mm drilled and grooved discs for the back along with a set of Mintex 1144 pads and stainless steel hoses. This absolutely transformed the cars braking. It should also be noted that some people have put different pads front / back to keep the bias balance after fitting bigger brakes to the front. Since ABS cars don't have a bias valve there is no need to do this and the same pads all round works fine. The only thing that I'm unhappy with is the Mintex pads. I feel that they glaze over if used in anger and it can take some time to clean them up again. I think that I'll try Black Diamond pads next time.

Since then the car has been on a track a few times and I've always found that the brake setup was more than adequate for my ability. I've considered fitting four pots now that I've got bigger wheels, but to be honest I can't justify the cost.

You should also note that Black Diamond sell 280mm discs that will fit but they are not listed under MGF / TF. I don't think that they sell the calliper brackets though.

Mike Satur's Big Brake Kit under 15" Square Spoke Wheels -

·
Registered
mgf
654 Posts
to anyone reading this thread - if any of you have a good nick tonneau cover you never use - I have a full set of greenstuff front pads going if anyone wants a swapsey....

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Stafainn said:
......I think that I'll try Black Diamond pads next time...........
I intend to go that route too, including there discs if they do 304mm, as the Mintex pads are eating my front discs at an alarming rate :yikes:

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I don't know if they fit under 15" wheels, but I have Mikes Big brake conversion, and it is top drawer. Driven trophys and TF160's and they aren't any better (that I can tell in a short test drive). They beat the standard set up hands down.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know Mike’s brakes fit so if I decide to go this route then I will properly go for Mike’s version.

Did you have any problems fitting them, do you need to change the brake hose’s etc?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Brake upgrade is definitely a good thing! I upgraded about ayeah ago to the front AP calipers on my 135 Cool blue, and what a difference. One thing I was never happy with was the standard brake set up. Although I'm not a big fan of the TF160 wheels so I had 10mm spacers fitted to my fronts so I could retain my 16" cup or allulite wheels not sure on the eaxact description, but they are the 16" 6 spokes that aren't the square ones!!

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Nah they were a doddle to fit (assuming your fairly handy with a spanner). I bought some new hoses to go with them (not stainless, just OE) and bled the whole lot. Gave everything a good clean and rebuilt the calipers with new seals (which is a bit tricky TBH) and stuck it all together. Just be careful with the shims / washers to make sure you get them in the right place.
Wouldn't bother with stainless hoses unless your planning on doing track days or you have a severe affinity with the middle pedal. And gathering from the problems people have had with correct fittings, I wouldn't want the hassle.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tim F said:
Get the AP's mate, and bung these on they'd look the DB's on a light coloured TF, even though i coulcn't twist Pete's arm about them on his:cool:
If your offering to buy them for me mate that’s very generous of you.;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts