MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to here and have always loved the TF and a few weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a TF135 in BRG. Had the best time when I picked it up from the garage nice sunny day, car does get lots of compliments and has put a big smile on my face everytime I get in it.

I had read all the scare stories about the HGF & leaks so I am a little weary about my little pride and joy at the moment. Living in Scotland had a fair ammount of rain and happy to report that the roof does not leak (even in rain that the windscreen wipers can't cope with) so that's one thing of the mind.

Guess I should stop talking mince here and get to my question, what would you consider normal gear changes v's booting it? What I mean by this is around what rev's would you consider normal before changing up?

Don't want to be driving around screwing the ass out my car or vice versa don't want to be driving like grandad with I could have a little spring in my step. Just looking to looking to get the best from the engine without hammering it.

Thanks in advance to any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Firstly, congratulations on an excellent buy and joining us merry band of nutters!

Despite everything you've heard regarding the dreaded HGF, the K series engine is a tough nut to break.

Changing gear very much tends to depend on your mood at the time. For a nice relaxed Sunday afternoon drive, changing around the 3k mark is fine and dandy but if you're up for a bit of fun (and the roads are suitable) then change gear around the 6.5k mark and see if you can remove the grin which appears!

My money says you won't! :lol:

These cars are great fun and can be driven about as hard and fast as you like.

Just a tip though, let the engine oil get to about the 90 degree mark before putting your foot down.

And most importantly, ENJOY!!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
krisxf said:
Firstly, congratulations on an excellent buy and joining us merry band of nutters!

Despite everything you've heard regarding the dreaded HGF, the K series engine is a tough nut to break.

Changing gear very much tends to depend on your mood at the time. For a nice relaxed Sunday afternoon drive, changing around the 3k mark is fine and dandy but if you're up for a bit of fun (and the roads are suitable) then change gear around the 6.5k mark and see if you can remove the grin which appears!

My money says you won't! :lol:

These cars are great fun and can be driven about as hard and fast as you like.

Just a tip though, let the engine oil get to about the 90 degree mark before putting your foot down.

And most importantly, ENJOY!!
Much over 6.6k and the ignition will cut out - krisxf sometimes forgets that we don't all have VVCs.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The K wants to be revved, just do it, im sure there are as many engines damaged from never getting booted as their are from getting thrashed.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Sprinter said:
Much over 6.6k and the ignition will cut out - krisxf sometimes forgets that we don't all have VVCs.
Corrected AGAIN! I'll just get my coat. :slap: :wavecry: :getcoat:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congratulations on your new buy - good colour.

I'm having fun with mine at the changing around 4-5K on the country roads.

Normal boring busy A roads just as with other cars around 3K

I've had mine since March and I'm really enjoying it.

Have fun.:bgrin2:

·
Registered
284 Posts
After a nice 20 miles run in when I go to work, I always pull to the dual carriageway and go nuts on the 4th gear at 5k rpm.. That roaring sound is mad :D

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Hello and welcome to the mad-house! :D

As far as the revs/booting/sunday driver thing goes, I always take it easy (try not to get revs above 3k) until the oil's warmed up well. I'm hoping this may help me to avoid HGF :)

Enjoy your new car!..
You now have to name it!! :bgrin:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Welcome to the assylum matey. As you can tell I am very impressed by your choice in colour. There are not very many BRG TF around. I've only ever seen two others.

I tend to take it easy until the oil temp is around the second mark on the guage and then take it above 3k.

Just you wait. You will be consumed by the darkside and start adding things!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Agree with Iaross there - beeeeeaaauuutiful colour!

Same as the rest with the oil warmed up rev thingy majigy!

Have lots and lots of fun!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does the 135 bounce off the limiter or simply cut out? I've had mine up to about 6.2k but didn't go any higher fearing that it might cut out (embarrasing if you're blasting along a B road). I've been really careful with mine not to thrash it until the temp gauge is at normal operating temperature (just below halfway) and the oil gauge is clear of 60 degrees. Lovely motors though! Looking forward to a nice drive at the weekend.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
It would bounce off the limiter.

What happens is when the engine reaches the limiter, the injector earth cuts out, which cuts the fuel supply.
As the revs drop (probably only a couple of hundred RPM) the injector earth is restored, which restores the fuel supply.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks all for the warm welcome and the advice, looks like I have been doing the correct thing. I always wait for the engine to warm up in any car before I increase the revs, good to know that Mr K likes the revs. My other car is a Rover 600 that I have had since new and has never had a problem even in its advanced years, big difference in going from a heavy car to Mr Tf . I have already done 2500 miles in the couple of weeks I have had my TF and think that my TF may have a rather higher mileage than average if I keep on having as much fun in it.

Still finding my feet with the handling a little weary in the wet, I have a regular drive of 50 miles which is half A roads then on to a lovely bendy coast road with nice long straights, it's amazing driving along it with the sun shining down on you (yes we do sometimes get sun up here) some may say a little sad but I think it's fantastic! Groundhog day for me!

Another little question regarding driving in the wet, how easy do they aqua plane? Have had the hairs on the back of my neck stand up a few times when I have hit some surface water around 70 and felt the steering going rather light, gave me a little scare. Could it be I am a being over sensitive at the moment? Just the difference in feel between big rover and little TF?

Or on the verge of riding on the water?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this, hope I don't come across as a dumb ass, I normally leave that down to my spelling!

P.S will look into csmgf

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Not at all, we were all new to the F at one point, and you'd be hard pushed to find a more informed group of people willing to impart their knowledge than the people on here, they helped me a lot in the first days of ownership :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey there! I'm another new owner and can certainly identify with what you're saying. I've been quite tentative so far, not really gunning her into corners and the like just yet.

Can I ask, what tyres is your TF running on? I've found the Eagle F1's interesting so far - there's probably a lot more grip there than I realise but I'm also just feeling my way in with the handling/grip for the minute. As with everything I'm sure the car performs better the more committed your are with you driving but it doesn't help when you're a little nervy the first few times!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts