MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post, although Ive been lurking for a while.

Ive had a good route through the site already, not 100% Im posting this in the right area, sorry if not!

Ive just bought a 1991 Rover 216GTI (Reg 30/05/1991) with the Honda Twincam engine in.

The engine number is D16A9E023456

Could you guys tell me what type of engine this is (I.e. B16 etc, i want to say D16, but dont know if these exist!)

Ive seen a few Exhaust manifolds knocking about on ebay for Civics with the B16 engine, if my engine turns out to be a B16, will these civic exhaust headers/manifolds fit the Rover 200's, or will the header bolt on, but as its a different car, the collector not be in the right place for a rover system?

Another point a few of you might be able to help me with is
The car is a healthy example with no health issues other than a leaky back box, Ive already done an oil flush/change, coolant flush, fuel filter, etc and now wondering what else might help (its done 120K) to gain a few ponies.

What air filter/induction kit would you guys recommend? I know K&Ns are generally a safe bet, but if anyone can think of a better one to look out for I appreciate suggestions.
Has the induction kit really got that much advantage over a K&N airbox replacement element?

Ive been offered an FSE valve off a 1.6 K series engine, will this fit my application, or are they model specific?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the bombardment of Q's.

Jo

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
engine is a D16 :)

D16 manifolds fit - can help release a fair bit of power too

panel filter is about the best, or, get a battery in the boot and get the kit which moves the filter down to where the battery is.

next call is exhaust and decat - you should be seeing about 135bhp+ with those mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought as much, where is the best place to source D16 bits?

Everywhere Ive looked seem to mainly concentrate on B16 parts. On eBay the only D16 tuning bits seem to be for the SOHC.

Another few Q's for you guys!!

Whats the external diameter of the throttle bodys entrance (where you would clamp an aftermarket fiter onto)?
As Ive got a spare Cone K&N with a 3.5" flange off a Suzuki Swift GTi at home that might do.

And what weight oil would you recommend on a 120K Twincam? I used 40w15...

Again, thanks for your patience with all my Q's

Jo

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
ebay is your best bet, the yanks love d16 tuning, there is alsorts, get a chipped ECU with launch control etc,

loads of international ebay bits HERE

dont put an open induction kit on the end of the throttle body, it will end up losing power, you need plenty of cold air.

as long as its running ok 10/40 will be fine, changed often

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, not my day, if i refine the search (adding dohc or -turbo and/or -sohc) it comes up with nothing!!

It apears ebay has a void for dohc d16s!!!

www.horsepowerfreaks.com seem to have a few bits and bobs, like cam pulleys, but i cant find any cams, or exhausts for the dohc d16...

and i thought id bought a tuneable car LOL

will perservere and see what comes up

Jo :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
empsburna said:
engine is a D16 :)
or, get a battery in the boot and get the kit which moves the filter down to where the battery is.
those mods.
Is this the sort of induction kit that would need the battery relocating?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4634413061&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSIC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

To relocate the battery, is it just a matter of securing it in the boot, earthing it, and running a live to under the hood?

Hes also got somne cams that might fit, is my engine compatible with those jdm bits hes got?

Thanks for your patience

Jo

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
yeah, thats the induction. it will fit but its a tight squeeze, best to junk the filter it comes with and get a decent one.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
try searching for dohc zc on the yank ebay, thats the name of them over there :)

sohc d16 manifolds fit, you need to file the ports on the manifold to match up correctly thats the only mod :)

dont touch FSE valves, honda oem parts are good enough as they are!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RIghto, cheers for the advice lads, that d series site doesnt seem to be working for me...page cannot be displayed...mince.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Ice D said:
try searching for dohc zc on the yank ebay, thats the name of them over there :)

sohc d16 manifolds fit, you need to file the ports on the manifold to match up correctly thats the only mod :)

dont touch FSE valves, honda oem parts are good enough as they are!
//off topic//

reply to my text! i'm stuck at work with no net access till I sort out me duff router!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts