MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

Im Ben and am on uni placement on the Isle of Wight!

I have a 1998 (bubble) rover 214 8v which I bought myself for my bday...and its got some problems which i only just realy, it runs smoothe, lots of new parts :S. its been to some garages (ATS, James, Riverside) none of which can find why its using so much petrol!

I get about 220miles to 37 litres. :( and I drive it really gently for long journeys

White smoke comes out of the exhaust (lots of it)
not using oil or coolant either

So yer, on here to try and get advice to help fix it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi patpending, thanks for gettin bac to me :)

when I click the ink it just goes str8 to the page where everyone with 200 / 25 problems are at. Theres a post...

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=347717

where someone else has the same problem.

maybe u could help us both?

my mpg is about 220 - 240 per tank. Engine has no mods and as I drive mum everywhere I am really gentle with the throttle (only long journeys at about 45mph too)
what u think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Something not quite right there!

My wife has a 214 16v that I get between 200-250 to a tank and i have lead feet, her's is also running rough as i haven't found the cause yet.

She has only had hers a month and the first tank was 200 miles, i serviced the car, plugs/filters (oil/air but not fuel) ht leads, belts and oil change, and filled it back up and it used less fuel. only cost around £50 so was worth doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Yorkie,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have already done that though. its had a new cat and lambda sensor, new Engine coolant temperature sensor. All new belts, recent alternator, battery, starter motor, distributer leads, cap and arm, spark plugs, air filter...

It was good for about 200 miles with little smoke (i think auto choke is staying on)

but now its blowing again. ECU showed no codes and head gasket compression is fine :S

its goin in garage tomorrow so fingers crossed they will find something (although they havent yet and its been to two different garages already)

the breaks arent binding (it got 12 months MOT on it too)

bad times.

What problems are there with your rover? Does white smoke come out the back all the time?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It seems to be smokey, but not overly.

it feels rough at tickover, almost like the exhaust is blowing, but it doesn;t sound like it outside (I'm thinking CAT) and sometimes "throbs" between 900-1200rpm at tickover. I put some smoke stop in the clean oil and that helped. now going to change oil for fresh.

am going to change fuel filter once i find it, or get haynes manual.

like i say it runs well, starts first time, even from frozen. not loosing coolant, am loosing oil but from rockercover (another job)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking oil from rockercover too, you have to screw the screws in in a certain order and seal it (not sure how)

The fuel filter is if your stood looking into the engine.

Farthest away from you (on the car body behind the dash board) Just off centre to the right, its a round stumpy cylinder which is cased in a charcole cover.

haynes is best, on ebay theyre about £15 with free delivery (about £6 less than halfords)

When you say the car throbs, do u mean only when you press the accelerator or just when its on and your not touching the pedals? could be the idle controll valve (theyre expensive to buy new- bout £150), but second hand can be a tenner i paid anyway.

mine feels rough too, sounds ticky, drives fine (apart from overfuelling makes it sluggish at low revs)

im not sure either though :S

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Thanks for that,

I will look at the fuel filter at the weekend. I take it that you have done yours? if i pull the fuse for the fuel filter then go to start the car to depressurize the system will that work on the rover?

I got a diagram off here for the correct way to tighten the bolts on the rocker cover :)

I'll give the idle control valve a clean up and blow through when i'm working on the car (mine has been waiting patiently with a blown exhaust and in need of a service)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey,

im not entirely sure, i think you have to unscrew something gently to depressurize. I will have a read of haynes when i get home and try and post :)

I havent changed my fuel filter myself, was done about 25000 miles ago (the week I bought it)
:)

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Hey guys, im suffering a similar issue with my 97' car. Being in the trade, and knowing a bit, i have a hunch its a fueling issue. i assume when under revs the engine operates fine. i have a feeling the lambda could be at fault here, when i get a chance il change mine and see if it makes a difference and let you know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Timotey,

When my sensor was changed it made no difference :S

Mine goes in gararge tomorrow afternoon so I will post what garage says :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Ben, if you could have a look for the fuel filter depreasurizing thing for me that would be great.

I know when i do the focus (on Sunday) i just pull a fuse and then try to start her.

Hopefully they will find out what the problem at idle is.

Nik

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi Yorkie - readin, typing from haynes...

1. disc neg battery lead
2. release charcoal canister from its mounting bracket and move to side (helps access it)
3. position 'absorbent cloth' to catch escaping fuel (very erotic!)
4. counterhold the union on the fuel filter and SLOWLY slacken fuel pipe union nut using a second spanner
5. Allow fuel pressure to dissipate, fully unscrew union nut, disconnect fuel input pipe.
6. repeat procedure to disconnect fuel outlet pipe from top of fuel filter
7. slacken filter clamp bolt then remove from mounting bracket (upwards i think)
8.collect fuel from filter

take a break

9. when connecting new filter its the opposite of removal, make sure arrow is pointing upwards, then tighten fuel unions securely

christ Barry White just popped in my head;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlzljRqt8Io

love it!

hope this helps :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts