MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi New to the Forum, found you while searching for some answers on a new car I just bought.

Just picked up a cracking 04 Mg TF but the previous owner has made some mods that i'm not too sure about.

First up, it looks like he's put 17" ZT Alloys on, which look stunning, but leave the car with 205/40/17R Tyres all round and i'm sure from previously owning the MG F that the rear tyres need to be wider (225 perhaps) Also the 17" wheels scrape the inside of the arches, although only very slightly and only when on full lock so i'm not to worried about that.

Other problem with the car, The central locking will not work from the remote control. I knew about this when I bought it and negotiated a knowck down price. The Alarm arms when the button is pressed, but the doors won't open or lock. I need to turn the key in the door lock to get it to open (And it only opens and locks the driver door.

Any advice, experience of these or just a post to say Hi would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi and welcome to .org

Which model TF is it, 115 ??

Its the 160, 1.8 VVC Central locking is definately installed, and I know from the previous owner that it was working. I picked the car up cheap as a previousl Cat D, (Although the reason it was Cat D'd was because of the MG bankruptcy) and I know from friends who work for insurance companies they wrote them off rather than fix them because of the delay for parts.

Gave the car a full check and have to say its completely sound, Its had a real professional job done to fix it. Only niggle is the C/L, That and i'm not too sure about the 17" ZT Alloys, or if the rear tyre is going to be wide enough to cope with those lurvely horsies (From owning a MG F I know the rear tyre size is VERY important !!)

i've attached a pic in the introductions forum if anyone wants to have a peek :)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Am i right in thinking this car is a 53 reg? if so the story you were told cannot be true:-
(although the reason it was Cat D'd was because of the MG bankruptcy) and I know from friends who work for insurance companies they wrote them off rather than fix them because of the delay for parts.)

Many TF's were produced after 53 reg.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I had a peek, looking good :broon: :petevick:

Just a thought even if it sounds implausible:
Was a new battery fitted to the fob recently ?
Try to press the lock button 4 times and see what happens.

Would not explain why the alarm will activate, but worth a try :dunno:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Am i right in thinking this car is a 53 reg? if so the story you were told cannot be true:-
(although the reason it was Cat D'd was because of the MG bankruptcy) and I know from friends who work for insurance companies they wrote them off rather than fix them because of the delay for parts.)

Many TF's were produced after 53 reg.
I know, but the dates the Cat D was registered is after MG went bust. I've done the full work over on it, and found its had a really professional job to fix what was fairly light front end damage. (Also saw the photos and invoices) ao i'm confident I managed to pick up a real bargain :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a peek, looking good :broon: :petevick:

Just a thought even if it sounds implausible:
Was a new battery fitted to the fob recently ?
Try to press the lock button 4 times and see what happens.

Would not explain why the alarm will activate, but worth a try :dunno:
Worth a try :) I'll let you know, am also going to try changing the fuse (Even though the other one doesn't look like its bust)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Were ZT wheels not 5 stud whereas the TF are 4 stud? Also you say on the other board that your tyres are 215, but on this one 205 - I would have thought that 215 would have been OK. Certainly until you need to change them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Were ZT wheels not 5 stud whereas the TF are 4 stud? Also you say on the other board that your tyres are 215, but on this one 205 - I would have thought that 215 would have been OK. Certainly until you need to change them.
Sorry, Its been a long day at work, and my eyes are going funny from leaving my work laptop then playing on my home laptop :oops:

All four Tyres are 205/14/17R I thought they came off a ZT, but I could be wrong, I know the standard TF wheels only ever went up to 16" and I seen a few pictures of the ZT with what looks like similar wheels.

On the other hand, they could be completely after market, The MG Badge in the middle of them doesn't really look that convincing :dunno:

So you think if I upgrade the rears to be 215's I should be good?? I've not had any twitches on the bends so far, but I have been taking it easy...ish, (Still have memories of my MGF with the wrong size rear tyres)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,183 Posts
Welcome to .ORG :)

The wheels look to be more after market, do you know if they are fitted using adapters?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to .ORG :)

The wheels look to be more after market, do you know if they are fitted using adapters?
Doesn't look like an adapter (Althought i've not had one off)

Looks like the 4 bolts straight into the axle.

They do look very similar to the 17" ZT wheels, although after looking at some more pics on Google there are a few subtle differences.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Sorry, Its been a long day at work, and my eyes are going funny from leaving my work laptop then playing on my home laptop :oops:

All four Tyres are 205/14/17R I thought they came off a ZT, but I could be wrong, I know the standard TF wheels only ever went up to 16" and I seen a few pictures of the ZT with what looks like similar wheels.

On the other hand, they could be completely after market, The MG Badge in the middle of them doesn't really look that convincing :dunno:

So you think if I upgrade the rears to be 215's I should be good?? I've not had any twitches on the bends so far, but I have been taking it easy...ish, (Still have memories of my MGF with the wrong size rear tyres)
Hi, yes zt wheels would not fit a TF so will be non MG Alloys fitted, as you mentioned 17's rub so thats why MG stayed with 16's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts