MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're unfortunate enough to suffer HGF how much is it likely to cost to put right again (if the car is out of warranty?)?

Cheers :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,655 Posts
Between £500 to £1500+ depending on the damage done. I know my HGF would have cost £1400, as it was such a mess inside the engine. The orginal problem (that led to HGF) was also included in the cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just wanted an idea, thats less than i thought (thought bout 4/5k maybe!!) as im trying to think of things that put me off the TF and the thought of this happening is all at the mo!!

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
mattcymru said:
just wanted an idea, thats less than i thought (thought bout 4/5k maybe!!) as im trying to think of things that put me off the TF and the thought of this happening is all at the mo!!
I know the thought of HGF was putting me off a bit before I got it, I guess there are some that don't suffer it, it's luck of the draw and keeping check on levels etc.

Although some people on here suggest warranties from the AA and such, I don't know how much they are but if they cover things like HGF it's maybe worth it for peace of mind if anything.

Jonathan

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
The AA Parts & Labour Breakdpwn Warranty is well worth having IMO. Need to be AA member. Car needs to break down (i.e. call AA patrol). http://www.theaa.co.uk . There are several options - pick the one you like best. Alternative is to stick £600 away in an acount somewhere and forget it untol you have HGF; will pay most of it. Complete engine would be £4/5k.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sprinter said:
The AA Parts & Labour Breakdpwn Warranty is well worth having IMO. Need to be AA member. Car needs to break down (i.e. call AA patrol). http://www.theaa.co.uk . There are several options - pick the one you like best. Alternative is to stick £600 away in an acount somewhere and forget it untol you have HGF; will pay most of it. Complete engine would be £4/5k.
what option covers parts and labour breakdown??

·
Registered
mgf
5,479 Posts
Sprinter said:
Alternative is to stick £600 away in an acount somewhere and forget it untol you have HGF; will pay most of it.
Worked for me when i had mine (and still does, got £475 in my HGF fund currently!)

I had a shade under £600.00 when my HGF happened, spent it and then took the opportunity to upgrade a few things whilst the engine was stipped down. All in my bill was around £1900.00, but this included a Stage 1 head conversion, MS engine life saver kit, MS hose connectors, alloy underbody coolant pipes and one of Mike's uprated alloy radiators (sadly damaged in the accident later, now have a TF one instead). Plus i had the repairers install my ITG Maxogen at the same time.

Bill was roughly half and half parts / labour.

The HGF on it's own accounted for roughly £750.00, the rest was down to me adding stuff! :doh:

·
Registered
793 Posts
what should i change on my 96 mgf to prevent a hgf? i know the saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" but thats all very said and done when an old component that was fine yesterday gives up today and causes a hgf!!

Sorry for the thread hi-jack:O

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
N1CK said:
what should i change on my 96 mgf to prevent a hgf? i know the saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" but thats all very said and done when an old component that was fine yesterday gives up today and causes a hgf!!

Sorry for the thread hi-jack:O
ill forgive you.....................:guns: lol

·
Registered
mgf
5,479 Posts
First up - don't change the gasket / dowels until it goes, you never know, it may not happen :)

Next, (off the top of my head) inspect and replace / upgrade the following:

1 ) Radiator
2 ) Underbody coolant pipes
3 ) Expansion tank cap
4 ) Radiator bleed screw
5 ) Radiator fan fuse

You can also investigate fitting a TF remote thermostat and maybe an oil cooler too (can't hurt).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all

Been reading through this AA deal where they cover the cost of repairs for a nominal yearly fee. They only cover the first £500 towards any repairs but apart from that the deal seems to be pretty good as far as i can see.
However, in the small print the AA seem to have covered their backs pretty well and in theory could talk themselves out of any payment for pretty much any claim.

see terms and conditions http://www.theaa.com/services/breakdowncover/plc_terms_conditions.html

has anyone got/used this service with them ??

Im quite tempted so interested to know what you all think

Antony

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Antony said:
see terms and conditions http://www.theaa.com/services/breakdowncover/plc_terms_conditions.html

has anyone got/used this service with them ??

Im quite tempted so interested to know what you all think

Antony
Hi Antony

Yes I have used them ~ Today infact (see other thread "& now for the bad news").
No quible ~ the major factor is that it must be part of a breakdown & the AA must deliver the car to the garage. Unfortunately my breakdown was on Sunday & MGR Service Dept was closed therefore I had to leave the car on the street over night, I think I was more worried about that at the time. Once the garage were able to diaginose the problem I got them to ring the claims line and it was approved on the same phone call.

Bill for £300.75 rather than £775.75 seems fair to me. OK so I pay £183.00 for Roadside, Relay & Relay Plus & the P&LC which may seem a bit over the top but I could have brokendown mainy miles from were I could nominated(sp) garage & the recovery would have still got me & car home. I don't know how much a recovery is from a Motorway is these days?. I could & I think I still can have a hire car for two days, as the job is not complete.

Anyone think I sell for The AA but I don't. Like all insurance it's too expensive until you need it!!

Hope this Help (or HTH if you don't understand the full version)

MikeS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.