MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mk2 214 SLi 16v MPI 1993

The HG has failed...all the usual signs: mayo, heat. lack of water, etc, etc.

Given the impending Bank Holiday weekend, what would be the best course of action?

I can either strip the exisiting engine in place, replace the gasket and presumably I'll have to get the head skimmed.

Or I have access to a spare engine. Would it be eaiser to totally remove the old engine and drop in the replacement? If I do go this route, apart from replacing the clutch and the cam belt is there anything else I ought to do whilst the engine is out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Do you know how good the other engine is?

If it is good and you've got the lifting takle then swapping the enigne is easy enough but there isn't any point unless you know the other one is good.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know 100% that it is a good engine. But it is a friend, who bought it as a "runner" to use in a kit car. In the end he used a Vauxhall red top, but he's offered me the K-series for nothing. It comes complete with all ancillaries and is an MPi.

How quick a job is a swap? If it is realistic to get the old one out, swap over the gearbox and other bits and get it back in in one day, I feel inclined to do that. Hopefully, that will leave me with a running car and I can repair the HGF in slow time in my workshop...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What the car or the engine? :)

Neither really...the car is coming along nicely as the rally car and I hope to refurb the engine with the idea of having it as a spare if the "new" one goes pear shaped...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts