MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mk2 214 SLi 16v MPI 1993

The HG has failed...all the usual signs: mayo, heat. lack of water, etc, etc.

Given the impending Bank Holiday weekend, what would be the best course of action?

I can either strip the exisiting engine in place, replace the gasket and presumably I'll have to get the head skimmed.

Or I have access to a spare engine. Would it be eaiser to totally remove the old engine and drop in the replacement? If I do go this route, apart from replacing the clutch and the cam belt is there anything else I ought to do whilst the engine is out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know 100% that it is a good engine. But it is a friend, who bought it as a "runner" to use in a kit car. In the end he used a Vauxhall red top, but he's offered me the K-series for nothing. It comes complete with all ancillaries and is an MPi.

How quick a job is a swap? If it is realistic to get the old one out, swap over the gearbox and other bits and get it back in in one day, I feel inclined to do that. Hopefully, that will leave me with a running car and I can repair the HGF in slow time in my workshop...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What the car or the engine? :)

Neither really...the car is coming along nicely as the rally car and I hope to refurb the engine with the idea of having it as a spare if the "new" one goes pear shaped...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.