MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here's some news that I am none to happy about.
After 9 years of F/TF ownership, my 02 plate TF160 has succomed to HGF. Pretty low mileage and treated well, so not good news.

Can't say I am happy, but the dealer seems to be dealing with it properly and very efficiently. I took it in this morning without any appointment, and have just had HGF confirmed and an estimated return time of tomorrow afternoon.

Just hope it only happens once, and not on teh way to monaco later in the year.

Edit: I suppose I ought to add my details to the HoS site, can someone post the url and I can't remember it.
Edit 2 : Removal of members name from thread at their request.

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: you're right Dee.

I have felt that the early 02 TFs seemed to regress a bit with HGF. But then I had 6 years with zero problems in the F which was supposed to be the worst year for HGFs.

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
david is that you standing up for mgs saying theres no hgf problem?! how dare you! lol

dont no much about hgf have read everything on the forums every time it comes up, and im not worried about it to be honest. i just think the ratio of people that have it to people who dont is not huge enuf for me to stress about it. admitedly i do look after my car tho and if it did happen - which god forbid it dosnt - then ill deal with it then.

bugger that it has happened to you tho, how much is it costing you to fix intotal tho? bet its a pretty penny?

you registered on teh shame on mg site too?

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[email protected] - less than 20k

Dee - as you know, I have always felt there appeared to be a weakness with with the F which manifest itself in HGF, but was not HGF itself. However, as i have continually said, we just don't know because we don't have any real data. The thing we do know is that 3rd party warranty firms do NOT add a premium on F/TF for any reason (including HGF) and so it would appear to fall within the industry acceptable parameters. So we have a contradiction.

As for fixing it, I am assuming it is free as it is still in warranty. Dealer has stated it is warranty and so I am accepting that.

The HoS is the Hall of Shame which is the only public record of a very limited number of MGF/TF HGF incidences. I will add it when I get the url.

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
as you are getting it done under warrenty im even less stressed about it now i still have a year and a few months left in mine! ill prob get rid of the car after the three years is up anways! and get a 160! wooo

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
David Mills said:
...that's pretty light mileage... you must be seriously :irked:

...must admit I'm slightly worried about ours, as generally the car only does a short run into the office most days (less than 10miles each way)... and only really gets warmed up at weekends.... so I think its a prime target for an HGF.
Which is making me wonder what to do once the warranty expires. Having said that its still got 17 months left.... so maybe I'll worry closer to the time.

·
Registered
14,782 Posts
Firstly sorry to hear about the HGF David, though if there is a brightiside, it's still in warranty, lets hope it doesn't go again.

...that's pretty light mileage... you must be seriously :irked:

...must admit I'm slightly worried about ours, as generally the car only does a short run into the office most days (less than 10miles each way)... and only really gets warmed up at weekends.... so I think its a prime target for an HGF.
I know I wonder if I am, I do a 11 miles each way mon-fri, of dual carridgeway driving. What would be classed as a "short journey"?

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Loaky said:
Firstly sorry to hear about the HGF David, though if there is a brightiside, it's still in warranty, lets hope it doesn't go again.

I know I wonder if I am, I do a 11 miles each way mon-fri, of dual carridgeway driving. What would be classed as a "short journey"?

Jonathan

...I always work on the principle if your oil temp doesn't move.... its a short journey

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It always hurts when reading that a HG went on a TF. You're expecting it on an F, so no big deal... but on the TF is always a shame.
(not trying to start any kind of discussion about reliability and so on...)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
685 Posts
Well here's some news that will make Bill Brooks happy at least.
Well, tough luck mate, I would be interested why you think it would make me happy ? It gives me no pleasure at all to see that you have hit the same issue as so many others - I hope you get it fixed quickly and that it does not re- occur.

i say unlucky and bill will be along in a mo saying it was bound to happen sonner or later!
Interesting remark Dee, also that you have not the confidence to keep your car after the waranty runs out - tells a tale, methinks.

Problem you may have now David Mills is that when you are sat in heavy traffic on a boiling hot day with the roof down (drat I still miss that bit) will you still have confidence in that K series head gasget ? Thats the problem I had & I like Dee was determined to get shot of my MG before the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
Interesting remark Dee, also that you have not the confidence to keep your car after the waranty runs out - tells a tale, methinks.

nothing at all to do with that bill - as you no most people change their cars and upgrade (in my case to another mg - so i obv do have faith) after 3 years after the cars depreciation value has even itself out. im not going to start an argument over it but as you could see there was a little emoticon at the end asking you to bite and you did! :dddc:

and in no way am i determinded to get rid of my mg ive got a new job just so i can keep it!

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pip said:
Sorry to hear the bad news David (you do know that heater knobs can in no way contribute to HGF ;) )
Did it go in a big way or did you catch it early?
Odd that, because I was beginning to think it was a bit strange that shortly after fitting those knobs the HGF went and so there must be a connection :lol:
All I noticed was a short blip in the temp guage and then it settled down. Couldn't stop there so ran it on a little longer to the dealer. No drama, no clouds of steam, no change in oil temp and no change in engine note. Odd. No water in resevoir and mayo on the dipstick.

Erik, This is an early TF without the remote thermostat so to all intents and purposes it's still an F.

Bill,
I am not going to waste my time discussing this with you, because I don't believe you listen or are rational on this point. I never had and still don't have any issue with the TF head gasket. As usual you have missed the point. I am now more concerned it will go again, and as I intend driving to Monaco in the summer it's now more of a concern. But, I have had 9 years of F/TF driving with no HGF which colours my opinion. You are intitled to your opinion, as I am mine, so I intend to leave it there.

·
Registered
mgf
129 Posts
This is a problem I am very worried about with my car.

I Have a 96 F with FSH & 37,000 miles on the clock.

I only travel about 2 miles to work & then 2 miles home everyday, but it does get used for long trips at the weekends.

I have recently found a warranty type insurance, is this worth getting:

Parts covered:

ENGINE
All components contained within the cylinder block and head including pistons, rings, crankshaft, big end bearings, manifolds, rocker assembly, timing chains, timing gears, distributor drive.

COOLING SYSTEM
All components including radiator (excluding external damage), matrix, water pump, head gasket, thermostat.

+ lots more inc brakes, steering, suspensio etc etc

When a vehicle is off the road its important to know that our warranties cover the following costs: -

* Labour. * Parts. * Recovery to garage (max £65.00).
* Vat. * Car Hire (when repairs take over 8 hours).

Pay out - £1000 *cost Platinum *£138.60 per year

EXCLUSIONS

Cylinder head cracks, damage caused by frost, overheating or as a result of a lack of anti-freeze, all normal maintenance items such as but not limited to plugs, points, filters, breather valves, valve cover, gaskets, plus parts that require periodic replacement such as but not limited to high tension leads, rotor arms bulbs, ancillary belts, hoses, exhausts, tyres, fluids, batteries, in-car entertainment systems, alarms, immobilisers, normal wear items, non-manufacturer approved parts.

sorry for the long post but I dont want to waste my money

Sarah

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.