MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice please...I have an MG ZR 160 and my head gasket recently blew.

Im planning on doing the work myself and would like to know if the standard zr gasket is good enough or would it be worth getting a Landrover one. I would appreciate any advice...

Also, does anyone know of any sites where it shows a step-by-step guide to changing the head gasket on the K-series...there seems to be a lack of information on the web!

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
the payen headgasket will suffice in your car, but this will probably be the one currently fitted.

The Land Rover gasket is, at the moment, a fix for the headgasket issue. I say this because it has not been implemented long enough to see if the gasket has solved this problem.

For the mg 160, buy a haynes. Theres no need to touch the vvc mechs and the procedure is much of that accroding to the book apart from a different inlet manifold.

Search the forums for aligning the vvc cams and bottom pulley.

click you tube and enter: "technozen"

Technozen (a member on here) shows how to do a cambelt on a k16 non vvc lump. Its very informative and shows you what all the marks are, and how they align.

·
Registered
163 Posts
try a previous thread on this i think i raised this one. I used the landrover gasket myself personally after three people giving me advice as its far superior, it also has a shim with it for more peace of mind. Mine blew two weeks ago and now touch wood seems to be running fine. Shouldnt you get new cambelt, tensioner water pump oil new coolant e.t.c. to go with the new gasket?

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Go for the Landrover gasket and oil rail.

Here is a "how to" on changing the gasket.: http://www.forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=180729

Rich.
LandRover head gaskett all the way, although when they fitted mine, they said it was from the Lotus Exige? Same engines but dunno if they used the same HG. Could be worth looking into...
Just makes me smile when I can tell people my car is part lotus hence goes fast :)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
LR Gasket but if you going to do it yourself not too many pages back you'll find this exact same question but with a full shopping list.

I'll see if I can find it and link it here when I get home from the enslavement camp known as work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts