MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cold the car starts fine. Fires up straight away.

When the car has been running a while, and I stop at a shop or something, and the engine may have only been off a couple of minutes or so, when it comes to starting the engine will turn over, but then hesitate (as if I've left go of the key) but then fire up. It's a bit disconcerting, and I have no idea why it does this.

I've had quite a lot of work done to the car, including replacement cylinder head (which was pressure tested and skimmed) and head gasket set, cambelts and various other work on it. This work was all done really before I got to know the car, so I don';t know if the problem was there before or if it's a result of the work done.

Anyone got any suggestions?

The car can be a little bit mis-firey (only very slightly) if the weather's damp/wet and the car is cold and I try to accelerate hard in too high a gear. I realise this is probably the HT leads, but it's not stopping the car starting normally. And not only that it's only when the car is hot, and has been turned off a few mins.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
and be amazed on how it runs when you change the leads! VVC boyos reckon to splash out for a set of magnecors!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to make sure I had explained the problem clearly:

The car, when hot, and been standing for a short while, when starting it back up the starter turns the engine a bit, then hesitates, then fires up.

Still go with coolant temp sensor?

It's not the engine turning over and over then firing up. It turns maybe once, then stops mid-starting procedure, then fires up as normal.... it's bizarre to me. I used to think it was me not holding the key in the start position long enough, but it's definitely something with the car.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
yes - go with the coolant temp sensor first - probably the cheapest!

i was just making an observation about the ht leads :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
if your coolant temp sensor is knackered then the fan will run all the time and you will find it hard starting from warm as the ecu will try and chuck too much fuel in thinking that the car is cold.

let us know how you get on

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Your not running a K&N 57i are you.

Could heat soak be causing the prob.

bad location on the Vi 57i kit as it bolts straight on to the throttle body and loses power due to it getting way to hot.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
i think i have the same problem, which occured after turning 1.4 engine to 1.8
i was told that it has to do with starter motor and that it's not worrying at all..

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just been under the bonnet to see if the coolant temp sensor connectors might be dirty. Cleaned them up just in case.

But I know the fan kicks in appropriately. It did it at a drive-through while I was waiting to be served. Weather was hot and I could hear the fan kick in and switch off shortly afterwards.

If I disconnect the coolant temp sensor the fan stays on permanently as would be expected.

Puzzled!

Might it be anything to do with the starter motor itself??? It's as if there is something stopping the engine turning over momentarily when starting up (and when the car's nice and hot as explained).

THanks for suggestions so far.
Not using any K&N induction kit or anything. Bog standard new air filter. Car should be pretty well sorted with all the work done on it. This starting issue so far isn't a problem, it still starts. But it's worrying none-the-less.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nikolas said:
i think i have the same problem, which occured after turning 1.4 engine to 1.8
i was told that it has to do with starter motor and that it's not worrying at all..
Missed your post before my last one.

I think this is possibly the most likely cause (seems plausible to me that somehow the starter motor is to blame) but I don't know why it would only do it when hot.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
my car starts fine when cold..
when it's hot it does exactly the same thing..
it seems to be about to start..and then there is a pause like the starter motor not to have the power to start engine, and then it starts..
(sometimes during that pause if i move slightly the key backwards and then forward again fires without need to turn the key to position 2 and try again)
two other guys that i know with 1.4 to 1.8 conversion have the same problem..but as i told you in my previous post none of our mechanics seemed to be worried of a potential problem..as this is expected since it's "harder" to make an 1.8 engine fire..than an 1.4

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nikolas said:
my car starts fine when cold..
when it's hot it does exactly the same thing..
it seems to be about to start..and then there is a pause like the starter motor not to have the power to start engine, and then it starts..
(sometimes during that pause if i move slightly the key backwards and then forward again fires without need to turn the key to position 2 and try again)
two other guys that i know with 1.4 to 1.8 conversion have the same problem..but as i told you in my previous post none of our mechanics seemed to be worried of a potential problem..as this is expected since it's "harder" to make an 1.8 engine fire..than an 1.4
OK. Mine's not a converted car though. It's a standard Vi car. But I've got break down cover should the starter ever give up!

Thanks everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts