MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thats a good thing, but you can do a lot to help yourself on this. You dont have to be a mechanic and quite a few on here have learnt through asking.
Id been more concerned about draing fuel and loss of coolant. Is the Expansion bottle empty?
Expansion bottle at correct level, no sign of water in the oil.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,596 Posts
I've had a tank of fuel last two years. no sign of it going bad, at least, the engine started easily and ran smoothly. It was run on a monthly basis when laid up though. There's a lot of talk about ethanol in fuel causing problems over time, but I've never encountered a fuel problem out to that timescale.
Now your battery...will be toast.
The handbrake will no doubt be stuck on.
The clutch pedal will probably depress but then not rise back up from the floor again. I have found that lifting it back up by hand then depressing it by foot and repeating that a few dozen times will gradually ease it up until it starts to spring back up into position normally after being depressed.
One thing not critical but I would do as part of a general recommissioning is to grease the needle bearings in the top arms for the front wheels. There is a grease nipple on each top arm (the top arms hold the top ball joints for the hubs). You'll need a grease gun though and the front wheels off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My concern steaming in is the clutch jammed. Hence he’s left it 5 years, a bit of time teasing it won’t hurt. We know how expensive they are to repair. It’s going to need a cam belt and water pump at the very least.
The clutch moves as expected.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Today was quite sad. She has gone to see s Rover and MG fanatic mechanic on the back of a truck :( But it’s the first step.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts