MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

On returning from my early morning swim i pressed the button to shut the front drivers side window (which was half open) - it crawled a couple of inches then stopped - it was fine going down but will not go up - so currently it's sitting outside my house open - any ideas what the problem might be and the quickest way to resolve it.

Cheers, Scuzza

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,113 Posts
If it wasn't making any odd noises then it could be that the window stop has broken. I would remove the door card and see what's happened, you may also be able to get the window back up with a temporary repair.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I had this problem, turned out to be the regulator. Hopefully yours isn't.

I took the door card off and just propped the window/regulator up with a 'stick' and some duck tape while waiting to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this problem, turned out to be the regulator. Hopefully yours isn't.

I took the door card off and just propped the window/regulator up with a 'stick' and some duck tape while waiting to get it fixed.
it's just odd that it goes down fine but not up - was this the same with you ?

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
it's just odd that it goes down fine but not up - was this the same with you ?
Yep.

Maybe :)dunno:) it's cos the motor/regulator/whatever doesn't have to work as hard to go down cos it has a little help from gravity?

Mine went from going down but not up - to not doing anything at all, other than making a rather nasty noise.

Fingers crossed yours is an easy fix... :)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep.

Maybe :)dunno:) it's cos the motor/regulator/whatever doesn't have to work as hard to go down cos it has a little help from gravity?

Mine went from going down but not up - to not doing anything at all, other than making a rather nasty noise.

Fingers crossed yours is an easy fix... :)
was it a costly repair, did you do it yourself ?

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
was it a costly repair, did you do it yourself ?
Can't remember exactly how much it was - part (as new) is £249.95 on MGOC spares site - which is about what I paid as I recall... I didn't try to fix it, but it's possible if your handy. Garage did mine for an hour's labour. Bummer was it was one of the parts not covered by my warranty. :( ;)

Still, it may be something else/cheaper yet :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,113 Posts
New window regulators can be bought from a company for around £150, can't remember who they are but a search on the forum should find them.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
New window regulators can be bought from a company for around £150, can't remember who they are but a search on the forum should find them.
That's what I should've done instead of letting the garage order the part in... :doh: ...live an learn... then again, I thought it was the motor at the time... :lol:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are these not scrappy items ? and how will i know if this is the problem or is this the only think it can be ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats how mine went, it turned out to be the window regulator, I got a Electric life one for about £90 the OE are over £200. It can be a ball ache of a job too. Oh also take it out the motor and give the pinion a twist before you change it mine jammed and i though it had gone but after a few weeks of not using the car it had jammed. just a though.

I think Best of British had some electric life ones in too

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats how mine went, it turned out to be the window regulator, I got a Electric life one for about £90 the OE are over £200. It can be a ball ache of a job too. Oh also take it out the motor and give the pinion a twist before you change it mine jammed and i though it had gone but after a few weeks of not using the car it had jammed. just a though.

I think Best of British had some electric life ones in too
Hi

I took the door card off last night, how on earth do you get to the window ? It's just a series of small holes in the door panel. I fiddled around and eventually for some unknown reason it kicked in and closed, then i drop it down and inch and tried to do it up again and it wouldn't - could it be a lose connection ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so, does anybody know if there is a process of elimination that will enable me to pinpoint exactly what this problem is, as i don't want to fork out 200 quid for a part if it was something more simple (a resistor or something) - ta

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good news( i think) - i switched the switches over and now the other window doesn't work = faulty switch, bought one on ebay for £9 last night and hopefully, it will be a case of plug it in and job done, phew !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts